Friday, March 7, 2014
By Jesse Scardina firstname.lastname@example.org
SKOWHEGAN — A small fire in the attic of Gifford's Famous Ice Cream's factory building, sparked by a saw being used to renovate the roof, was extinguished by fire crews this afternoon.
A call went into Skowhegan Fire Department at 12:25 p.m. for a fire at Gifford's on Hathaway Road, according to Captain Mike Savage.
Sparks from the saw set fire to debris in the attic, Savage said, and employees of Gifford's helped control the flames until fire crews arrived.
"Some of the employees had a garden hose in the building and used that to keep the flames from spreading," Savage said.
No one was injured, although one Gifford's employee was checked for smoke inhalation and one firefighter was checked for dehydration. An intern who answered the phone at Gifford's said the employee is OK.
The fire was under control by 12:48 p.m. and the ice cream shop was closed for about an hour.
Jesse Scardina — 861-9239