July 1, 2013

Suspect to be sent to Mass. in Aaron Hernandez murder case

The Associated Press

BOSTON — A man arrested in Florida agreed Monday to return to Massachusetts to face a charge in the murder case against former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez.

click image to enlarge

This booking photo released via the website of the Broward County Sheriff's Office shows Ernest Wallace, arrested June 28, 2013 when he surrendered at a police station in Miramar, Fla. Authorities had been seeking Wallace on a charge of acting as an accessory after the murder of Odin Lloyd on June 17 in North Attleborough, Mass. Former New England Patriots football player Aaron Hernandez has been charged with Lloyd's murder. (AP Photo/Broward County Sheriff's Office)

click image to enlarge

Former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez, left, stands with his attorney Michael Fee, right, during arraignment in Attleboro District Court Wednesday, June 26, in Attleboro, Mass. Hernandez was charged with murdering Odin Lloyd, a 27-year-old semi-pro football player for the Boston Bandits, whose body was found June 17 in an industrial park in North Attleborough, Mass. (AP Photo/The Sun Chronicle, Mike George, Pool)

Ernest Wallace, 41, faces a charge of accessory after the fact in the slaying semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd. Wallace turned himself in at a Miramar, Fla., police station last week.

An assistant to Broward County Judge John Hurley said Wallace waived extradition Monday and agreed to go back to Massachusetts.

In a statement, prosecutors in Bristol County, Mass., said they have 10 days to pick him up. They gave no indication when they would do so.

Prosecutors say Hernandez orchestrated Lloyd's execution-style shooting near Hernandez's North Attleborough home on June 17. They say it happened after the two went to a night club a few days earlier and Lloyd, 27, spoke to people Hernandez didn't want him talking to.

Hernandez is being held without bail after pleading not guilty to murder. His lawyers say that the case against Hernandez is circumstantial and that he's eager to clear his name.

Prosecutors say Wallace and another man, Carlos Ortiz, were in the car with Hernandez when the three men picked up Lloyd on June 17, drove him to an industrial park and shot him five times. They have not said who fired the shots.

Ortiz is being held on a charge of carrying an unlicensed firearm in North Attleborough on the day Lloyd was shot. His attorney described Ortiz as a "gentle person" and said he had advised him to plead not guilty.

The three men are all linked to Bristol, Conn., where Hernandez grew up. Ortiz had been living in Bristol, and authorities had addresses for Wallace there and in Miramar.

Last summer, Hernandez, 23, signed a five-year contract worth $40 million with the Patriots. The team released him the day of his arrest, and he could face life in prison if convicted.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)