May 23, 2013

Two more suspects arrested in London terror attack

Islamic hardliners say the man who appeared with bloody hands in a video following the attack on a British soldier is a convert from Christianity.

The Associated Press

(Continued from page 2)

click image to enlarge

Lee Rigby, 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, was identified as the soldier who was attacked and killed by two men in the Woolwich area of London on Wednesday.

The Associated Press / British Ministry of Defence

click image to enlarge

This man was filmed on the street, claiming responsibility after the attack in London on Wednesday.

Related headlines

The camera then panned away to show a body lying on the ground. This video, with its venomous threats, may provide the lasting image of the tragedy.

Police in the county of Lincolnshire in eastern England said a property was being searched in connection to the attack in Woolwich. Police said a search warrant had been obtained but would not provide details about the search. Police were also scouring the attack site for further clues.

There was also a police raid on a public housing complex in east Greenwich just outside of London thought to be related to the attack investigation.

Britain's security threat remained the same since Wednesday's attack, but security officials said they were reviewing preparations for next month's Group of Eight summit in Northern Ireland. President Barack Obama and other world leaders are expected to attend the meeting on June 17-18.

The incident unfolded Wednesday afternoon when officers responded to reports of an assault just a few blocks from the Royal Artillery Barracks in Woolwich.

Witnesses recounted seeing the suspects — armed with meat cleavers and possibly a firearm — rushing toward police when officers arrived on the scene. Police then opened fire.

Britain has been at the heart of several terror attacks or plots in recent years, the most deadly being the 2005 rush-hour suicide bombings when 52 commuters were killed. More recently, Parviz Khan was convicted in 2008 of plotting to kidnap and behead a British Muslim soldier in Birmingham.

Police defended the speed of the department's response to the attack. Assistant Commissioner Simon Byrne said police were on the scene nine minutes after receiving the first emergency call. Once it became clear that firearms were involved, firearms officers were called and arrived 14 minutes after the first call to police, he said.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)