Friday, March 7, 2014
From staff and news services
Portland police released this photo from a security camera of a man who allegedly robbed the KeyBank branch at 400 Forest Ave. on Friday.
Police investigate KeyBank robbery on Forest Avenue
Police are investigating a bank robbery at the KeyBank branch at 400 Forest Ave. on Friday.
At 10:30 a.m., a man entered the bank, handed a teller a note and left with cash. Police did not say how much was taken.
Nobody was injured and no weapon was shown.
The man was wearing a neon yellow traffic vest with the words "Maine Works" on the back, a gray zippered sweatshirt under the vest, a dark-colored hat and sunglasses. He was carrying a yellow hard hat.
The robber is described as a white man, 5-feet-9-inches tall and of medium build. Before the robbery, he may have entered the Tru-Choice Credit Union on Park Avenue and the C-Port Credit Union on Forest Avenue.
Anyone with information is asked to call police at 874-8575.
LePage says he'll shave head if fundraising goal is met
Gov. Paul LePage says he'll shave his head if Maine state employees and retirees raise $350,000 this year for charity.
The Republican governor made the remark on Friday during a kick-off event at the State House for the 34th annual Maine State Employees' Combined Charitable Appeal.
LePage says he was upping "the ante" after Department of Environmental Protection Commissioner Patricia Aho, who is leading this year's campaign, vowed to dye her hair pink if the group reaches their goal of $300,000.
The governor's office says the campaign has raised $6 million over 33 years. State workers and retirees contributed nearly $300,000 last year to organizations through one-time gifts or schedule payroll or retirement reductions.
Falmouth spur to be closed several nights for paving
The Maine Turnpike Authority plans to close access to Interstate 95 from the Falmouth spur Friday, Monday, Tuesday and possibly Wednesday nights to complete a paving project.
From 10 p.m. Friday to 2 a.m. Saturday, the southbound on-ramp for traffic entering the turnpike from the Falmouth spur will be closed. The northbound on-ramp is scheduled to close from 2 to 5 a.m. Saturday.
From 10 p.m. Monday to 5 a.m. Tuesday and from 10 p.m. Tuesday to 5 a.m. Wednesday the southbound on-ramp from the Falmouth spur will be closed. The northbound on-ramp will be closed from midnight to 5 a.m.
If necessary to complete work, on Wednesday the northbound on-ramp for traffic entering the turnpike from the Falmouth spur would be closed from 2 to 5 a.m.
Rhode Island man found not guilty of sexual assault
A jury in Maine has acquitted a Rhode Island man of sexually assaulting a 13-year-old girl.
Kyle Sanville of Richmond, R.I., was found not guilty Thursday of gross sexual assault after about three hours of deliberations by the Oxford County Superior Court jury.
Prosecutors say the girl was assaulted in November 2011 at her home in Hanover. Sanville, 24, was visiting her family over the Thanksgiving holiday.
The girl, now 15, testified that she and Sanville had sex in her parents' bed while her parents were out.
The Sun Journal reported that defense attorney Kevin Joyce said there was inadequate evidence that a crime had been committed. He also reminded the jury that the girl testified she had "problems with truthfulness."
Pair found dead in burning home had been shot
Authorities say the woman who was found dead in a burning home in Oakfield this week was shot.
WABI-TV reported the medical examiner officially identified the woman found Monday as Heidi Pratt, 49, and the cause of death as a gunshot wound to the neck. Her companion, Michael Kitchen, 51, also found dead in the home they shared, died from multiple gunshot wounds.
Matthew Davis of Houlton is charged with two counts of murder in connection with the deaths. He is being held without bail and awaiting the appointment of an attorney. He has not entered a plea.
Investigators are still trying to determine a motive for the slayings and the relationship between the suspect and the victims.