January 29, 2013

Kennebunk prostitution trial delayed until Feb. 13

The prosecution is asking Maine's high court to reinstate 46 invasion-of-privacy charges that were dismissed last week.

By Scott Dolan sdolan@pressherald.com
Staff Writer

PORTLAND – The highly anticipated trial of Mark Strong Sr., one of two key defendants in the Kennebunk prostitution case, has been halted until Feb. 13, when the Maine Supreme Judicial Court will take up an appeal by the prosecution.

click image to enlarge

Mark Strong Sr., left, and Tina Nadeau, his co-counsel, listen to Strong's other co-counsel, Daniel Lilley, address Justice Nancy Mills on Tuesday at York County Superior Court in Alfred.

Gregory Rec / Staff Photographer

click image to enlarge

York County Superior Court Justice Nancy Mills on Tuesday continued the gag order she imposed on defense attorneys, prosecutors and jurors while she awaits a ruling from the Maine Supreme Judicial Court on an appeal by the prosecution.

Gregory Rec / Staff Photographer

Additional Photos Below

Related headlines

Prosecutors are seeking to have 46 of the original 59 counts against Strong reinstated.

Justice Nancy Mills dismissed the 46 counts related to violation of privacy last week. The prosecutors appealed to the high court and asked for the trial to be stopped until a ruling is issued.

Supreme Court Chief Justice Leigh Saufley submitted a scheduling order shortly after 4 p.m. Tuesday, setting dates to submit legal briefs leading up to oral arguments Feb. 13 in Portland.

Strong, 57, of Thomaston, is accused of conspiring with Alexis Wright to run a one-woman prostitution business from her Zumba studio in Kennebunk, and of helping to make video recordings of her encounters with customers.

The trial, which would be the first major courtroom showdown since the scandal broke last year, has been on hold since Friday.

Thirteen charges are still pending against Strong: 12 counts of promotion of prostitution and a single count of conspiracy to promote prostitution.

Earlier Tuesday, a hearing in York County Superior Court ended in confusion when Mills said she would dismiss the pool of potential jurors, then said they would remain on standby.

She said she had learned that York County retains jury pools for two months, unlike Cumberland County, where jury pools are retained for one month.

The pool of potential jurors is down to 67 people from the initial 250.

Mills rejected a motion by Strong's attorney, Daniel Lilley, to go ahead with the trial on the remaining 13 counts and deal with the 46 counts later, pending the prosecutors' appeal.

She did agree with Lilley last week in his argument that people who engage in a criminal act cannot have an expectation of privacy.

In dismissing the violation-of-privacy charges, she ruled that patrons who were committing a crime by paying for sex "may have had a subjective expectation of privacy, but I can't find an objective expectation of privacy that society would be willing to expect."

York County Deputy District Attorney Justina McGettigan, appealed that ruling, arguing that it poses a "serious impairment" to the prosecution of the case.

McGettigan argued Tuesday that the 13 pending counts of promotion of prostitution and the 46 dismissed counts of violation of privacy are "all an interconnected scheme."

Mills sided with McGettigan in saying that a trial on the 13 counts would be unfair to the prosecution, with the possibility that the Supreme Court could reinstate the other 46.

She then declared she would dismiss the jury pool and "start over" after the Supreme Court rules on the appeal.

She reconvened the court minutes later, after realizing she had made a mistake.

"(The jurors) will not be dismissed or discharged," Mills said.

She said she was concerned about the length of the jury selection process, which started a week ago, and statements Lilley has made to the media in violation of a court-imposed gag order, because they may have been read by potential jurors and "influenced their impression of the case."

Lawyers in the case were barred from discussing what happened in court. Mills renewed her gag order with vigor Tuesday morning, scolding Lilley for speaking to the press last week and over the weekend.

(Continued on page 2)

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Additional Photos

click image to enlarge

Deputy District Attorney Justina McGettigan argues Tuesday against a motion by the defense to sever the 13 remaining counts against Mark Strong Sr. from the 46 dismissed counts that are on appeal at the Maine Supreme Judicial Court.

Gregory Rec / Staff Photographer


Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)