Saturday, March 8, 2014
From news service reports
Colo. gun background check requests break records
A protester holds a banner during a march to the National Rifle Association headquarters in Washington Monday.
DENVER — Colorado set a single-day record for gun background check requests the day after the Connecticut mass shootings.
The Denver Post reported Monday that there were more than 4,200 requests to buy guns in Colorado on Saturday. That figure surpassed the 4,028 background checks processed on Black Friday this year, said Susan Medina of the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, which was still totaling the requests Monday.
The surge in applications came after a gunman on Friday killed 20 children and six staff members at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.
So many background checks were submitted that the bureau had to call in extra staff. Wait times exceeded 12 hours for a process that generally takes minutes, Medina said.
The state last year approved more than 245,000 firearms applications out of more than 251,000 requests. A buyer can purchase multiple guns with a single background check. Colorado does not track gun purchases.
Nationwide, more than 16 million background checks were conducted, according to the FBI.
Threats put several W.Va. schools on lockdown
CHARLESTON, W.Va. — One school in Wirt County has been evacuated and two others are on lockdown following a bomb threat.
Another school in Wayne County was put on lockdown after a student posted a threat against another student on Facebook.
The threats came Monday as teachers and students returned to school after a gunman killed 26 people at an elementary school in Connecticut on Friday.
Wirt County Emergency Services director Bo Wriston says a bomb threat prompted the evacuation of Wirt County High School. Wirt County Primary Center and Wirt County Middle School are on lockdown as a precaution.
In Wayne County, Schools Superintendent Mike Ferguson says Spring Valley High School was put on lockdown after the Facebook post was discovered. The lockdown has ended.
Warner: Newtown massacre altered his guns stance
RICHMOND, Va. — Sen. Mark R. Warner, among the few Senate Democrats to hold favor with the National Rifle Association, said Monday that the Connecticut elementary school massacre has reversed his stand on assault weapons.
Warner endorsed President Barack Obama's support for restricting rapid-fire rifles like those a gunman used in the massacre of 26 people at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.
"The status quo is not acceptable anymore," the centrist former Virginia governor said in interviews Monday at the state Capitol, recalling the horror his three daughters expressed Friday at the second-worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history.
Its death toll is surpassed only by 2007 slayings of 32 people at Virginia Tech.
"There needs to be appropriate restrictions on these tools of mass-killing," Warner said, calling for tighter screening of gun buyers and stricter access to powerful, combat-style firearms capable of dispensing numerous shots in a short time.
Police: Man held after LA schools threatened
LOS ANGELES — A California man was arrested and nine guns, including rifles and a shotgun, were seized after threats were posted on Facebook against Los Angeles elementary schools, police said Monday.
Kyle Bangayan, 24, of Pomona was booked into the downtown jail Sunday for investigation of making criminal threats, police Cmdr. Andrew Smith said. He remained in jail with bail set at $500,000.
Police and FBI agents went to the east Hollywood home of Bangayan's father after a resident notified authorities about the threatening postings that referred to the deadly school shootings in Connecticut, Smith said.
"When we get information like this, we take it very seriously, even more so now in light of the Connecticut school shootings," Smith said.The names of the Los Angeles schools and details about the threats were not immediately released.
(Continued on page 2)