Monday, April 21, 2014
The Associated Press
SALEM, Mass. — Devin Albert scored into an empty net in the final minute Thursday to cap a 5-3 victory for Colby against Wentworth in the Salem State/Babson tournament.
Drew Crawford of Northwestern looks for a way around Sam Dekker of Wisconsin during their Big 10 opener Thursday night at Evanston, Ill. Wisconsin improved to 14-0 with a 76-49 victory.
The Associated Press
Jack Bartlett put Colby (5-3-2) up 3-2 with a goal 1:08 into the third period.
Wentworth (4-8-1) pulled its goalie in the final minute and Albert put in a pass from Bartlett with 57 seconds left.
Mike Cox scored for Wentworth at 19:16, but Nick Lanza also recorded an empty-netter 8 seconds later.
E.J. Rauseo scored in the first period and Ray Zeek added a goal in the second for Colby.
(4) WISCONSIN 76, NORTHWESTERN 49: Freshman reserve Nigel Hayes had a career-high 19 points and Wisconsin (14-0) beat Northwestern (7-7) in a Big Ten opener at Evanston, Ill.
Hayes went 8 of 12 from the field and had six rebounds. He’s averaging 15.3 points in his last three games.
(8) WICHITA STATE 82, SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 67: Fred VanVleet had 17 points, seven assists and two steals, and Wichita State (14-0) used 62 percent shooting to open Missouri Valley Conference play by beating Southern Illinois (4-10) at Carbondale, Ill.
(10) OREGON 70, UTAH 68: Damyean Dotson stole a pass from Dallin Bachynski and raced untouched for a breakaway dunk with one second left in overtime as Oregon (13-0) beat Utah (11-2) in a Pac-12 opener at Salt Lake City.
(2) NOTRE DAME 94, SOUTH DAKOTA STATE 51: Kayla McBride scored 18 points on 8-of-8 shooting from the field to help Notre Dame (12-0) cruise over South Dakota State (9-7) at South Bend, Ind.
(3) DUKE 87, OLD DOMINION 63: Tricia Liston scored 17 points, all in the first half, and Elizabeth Williams had 12 points and 12 rebounds as Duke (13-1) routed Old Dominion (6-7) at Durham, N.C.
(16) LOUISIANA STATE 80, (5) TENNESSEE 77: Danielle Ballard matched a career high with 25 points and LSU (11-2) held off Tennessee (11-2) in a Southeastern Conference opener after squandering most of a 16-point lead in the last 4½ minutes at Knoxville, Tenn.
(6) KENTUCKY 85, ALABAMA 63: Jennifer O’Neill had 17 points to help Kentucky (13-1) beat Alabama (7-7) in a Southeastern Conference opener at Tuscaloosa, Ala.
(9) BAYLOR 92, KANSAS STATE 63: Odyssey Sims scored 40 points, Sune Agbuke had 16 points and 14 rebounds, and Baylor (11-1) beat Kansas State (6-6) in a Big 12 opener at Manhattan, Kan.
(10) NORTH CAROLINA 74, JAMES MADISON 71: Xylina McDaniel scored 19 points and North Carolina (12-2) held off James Madison (10-4) at Chapel Hill, N.C.
(11) OKLAHOMA STATE 67, TEXAS 61: Tiffany Bias scored 23 points and had six assists as Oklahoma State (12-0) beat Texas (9-4) in a Big 12 opener at Stillwater, Okla.
(13) SOUTH CAROLINA 55, ARKANSAS 51: Tiffany Mitchell scored 16 points with 11 rebounds in leading South Carolina (13-1) over Arkansas (13-1) in a Southeastern Conference opener at Fayetteville, Ark.
(14) IOWA STATE 71, TEXAS CHRISTIAN 49: Reserve Nicole Blaskowsky pumped in 24 points to spark the Cyclones (12-0) over Texas Christian (9-4)in a Big 12 opener at Fort Worth, Texas.
OHIO STATE 89, (17) PURDUE 78: Martina Ellerbe drilled four straight free throws to start the second half to give Ohio State (11-6) the lead for good against Purdue (10-3) in a Big 10 opener at Columbus, Ohio.
(21) FLORIDA STATE 78, PITTSBURGH 69: Natasha Howard scored a career-high 27 points and visiting Florida State (13-1) beat Pittsburgh (8-7) in their Atlantic Coast Conference opener.
INDIANA 86, (22) IOWA 84: Larryn Brooks led Indiana with 20 points and nine assists as the Hoosiers (14-0) opened Big Ten play with a victory against Iowa (12-3) at Bloomington, Ind.
(25) OKLAHOMA 68, TEXAS TECH 38: Aaryn Ellenberg scored 17 points to lead Oklahoma (10-4) over Texas Tech (6-6) in a Big 12 opener at Lubbock, Texas.