October 30, 2013

NYA holds off Waynflete

The Panthers win a boys’ soccer quarterfinal in overtime.

By Paul Betit pbetit@pressherald.com
Staff Writer

YARMOUTH — About a minute after stepping onto the field for the first time, Michael McIntosh won a race down the right side and rolled in a shot from 15 yards with 1:08 left in the first overtime to lift third-seeded North Yarmouth Academy to a 2-1 victory against sixth-ranked Waynflete in a Western Class C boys’ soccer quarterfinal.

One of the three unbeaten teams in the tournament, NYA (15-0) will play second-seeded Marancook (13-0-2) in a semifinal Saturday, the time to be set.

“Most of the game I was on the bench,” said McIntosh, who came in after Forrest Chicoine cramped up and was unable to continue. “I get put in when players get hurt but I’m not a soccer guy. I’m a track guy.”

It was the second goal of the season for McIntosh, who started his senior year as a member of the cross country team.

“I just had a little hunch,” Coach Martyn Keen said. “Forrest, the other striker, was cramping up and he wasn’t moving as well as he could. Mike was on fire yesterday in practice so I just took a chance he could do something.”

The Panthers beat Waynflete (9-5-2) twice in the regular season but the Flyers gave them all they could handle Wednesday.

“I’m really proud of our kids,” Waynflete Coach Brandon Salway said. “We just battled and played to our abilities. NYA is a great team and showed it today, but I’m really proud of my kids. They left it all out on the field.”

NYA had to come from behind for the second time this season.

“We weren’t really firing today but we dug deep,” Keen said. “We’ve been resilient all season. We’ve been behind at halftime before and come back so I knew we could do it.”

The Flyers opened the scoring with less than six minutes left in the half when Joey Schnier sent a direct kick into the goalie box from 35 yards on the right. Jeremy Theven moved in to put his head on the ball but it deflected off him and past the reach of goalie Austin Kidder for an own goal.

It took the Panthers nearly 30 minutes to tie. It came 22 minutes into the second half when Chicoine popped in a rebound after goalie Milo Belleau kept out a close-in shot by Jackson Cohen-Smith.

NYA held a 28-12 edge in shots.

Belleau made 11 of his 15 saves in the second half to keep the Flyers in the game.

“We had chances,” Salway said. “The game could have gone either way. It was a great high school game and we were unfortunately on the losing side.”

Paul Betit can be contacted at 791-6424 or at: pbetit@pressherald.comTwitter: PaulBetitPPH
Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)



More PPH Blogs

Winter sports 2013-2014

High School Football 2013

Fall sports photos