February 27, 2013

Eastern A hockey: Brunswick wins in double overtime, 3-2

Matt Brooks scores the winner for the Dragons, who lost a lead late in regulation.

By Bill Stewart bstewart@centralmaine.com
Staff Writer

HALLOWELL — Matt Brooks thought about coming off for a line change, but then changed his mind.

"I was originally coming off but then I got a good pass off the boards and decided to shoot it," said Brooks, a Brunswick sophomore forward.

It was a good decision for the No. 5 Dragons.

Brooks scored a minute into double overtime to give Brunswick a 3-2 victory over No. 4 Cony in an Eastern Class A quarterfinal Tuesday night at the Bank of Maine Ice Vault.

The goal catapulted the Dragons (11-7-1) into the regional semifinals Saturday at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee in Lewiston.

Cony, which forced overtime when Tyler Leet scored with 23 seconds left in regulation, finished 11-5-3.

"I thought in OT we had our chances," said Cony Coach Chad Foye said. "We just couldn't finish. These guys worked so hard all year. It's tough to see them like this now."

The Rams were accustomed to erasing third-period deficits, particularly down the stretch this season.

They staged another one before a lively crowd at the Vault when Leet scored from out front, but this time it wasn't quite enough

Cony rallied from a 2-0 deficit to tie Brunswick 2-2 in a regular- season game Jan. 21.

"We knew it was going to be close," said Brunswick Coach Mike Routhier, whose team improved to 4-0-1 in overtime. "We were a little sloppy in the first overtime, and we thought we needed to get a jump on them in the second one."

The Dragons did just that.

Brooks took a pass from Kyle Woodruff and, with a defender in front of him, beat Cony goalie Tommy Small with a shot over the pads from the top of the circle.

"I was trying to get the puck between the (defenseman's) leg and put it right on net," Brooks said. "When it went in, I didn't even know what to do."

Leet, a senior, scored with 23 seconds left in regulation with goalie Small pulled in favor of the extra attacker.

"We just didn't panic," Foye said. "We kept coming back."

The teams were tied 1-1 after the first period before Woodruff gave Brunswick a 2-1 lead when he scored early in the second period.

He took a pass from Ryan Maciejewski and beat Small with a high shot to the far post.

Maciejewski scored in the first period for Brunswick, and Dallas Clark tied it for Cony in the second when he roofed a shot past Alexander to the far post from below the right faceoff dot with 6:17 left in the period.

"I'm really proud of the way the guys played," Foye said. "We gave it our best shot."


Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)



Clearing the Bases - Friday
Pitching, pitching, pitching

More PPH Blogs

Winter sports 2013-2014

High School Football 2013

Fall sports photos