Thursday, December 5, 2013
From staff and news services
POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. - Devin Price scored a season-high 28 points and Chavaughn Lewis posted a career-best 27 as Marist rolled past Maine 94-69 Sunday in a men's basketball game.
Chavaughn made 10 of 19 shots and Price hit 9 of 17 for the Red Foxes, who had their best shooting outing of the season, hitting 54.8 percent (34 of 62).
After 11 lead changes over the first 5 minutes, Marist (4-6) took the lead for good, 13-12, on a dunk from Manny Thomas. A 3-pointer by Price put Marist ahead 40-31 with 2:37 left to play.
Justin Edwards' 23 points paced Maine (3-8), which had four starters in double-figures but got just five points off the bench.
(10) ILLINOIS 66, EASTERN KENTUCKY 53: Brandon Paul scored 17 points in a game between undefeated teams, and the Illini used a late 12-2 run at Champaign, Ill., to gain control and help John Groce become only the second coach in Illinois history to win his first 12 games.
(24) OKLAHOMA STATE 91, CENTRAL ARKANSAS 63: Le'Bryan Nash scored 19 points, Markel Brown had 14 points and eight rebounds as the Cowboys (8-1) overcame a slow start to win convincingly at Stillwater, Okla.
(6) GEORGIA 93, LIPSCOMB 42: Guard Jasmine James and Tiaria Griffin each scored 18 points for Georgia (10-0) in a win over Lipscomb (1-7) at Athens, Ga.
(11) PENN STATE 60, SOUTH DAKOTA STATE 50: Nikki Greene scored 15 points and Alex Bentley had 13 as the Nittany Lions (9-2) overcame the Jackrabbits (6-5) at State College, Pa.
VANDERBILT 76, (12) OKLAHOMA 63: Christina Foggie scored 17 points as the Commodores (8-3) upset the Sooners (8-2) at Norman, Okla.
(13) TENNESSEE 94, (18) TEXAS 75: Meighan Simmons scored 18 points as the Volunteers (7-1) beat the Longhorns (6-2) at Austin, Texas.
(14) UCLA 53, ST. JOHN'S 52: Jasmine Dixon's layup with 1.2 seconds left in overtime lifted the Bruins (7-1) to victory in the championship game of the St. John's Holiday Classic.
(15) PURDUE 77, OAKLAND 46: Drey Mingo scored 19 points for the Boilermakers (10-1) at Rochester, Mich.
(16) OKLAHOMA STATE 83, VERMONT 30: Tiffany Bias scored 18 points and Oklahoma State improved to 8-0 with a win over the visiting Catamounts (3-8).
(19) NORTH CAROLINA 75, COASTAL CAROLINA 49: Antoinette Bannister came off the bench to score 13 points and lead the Tar Heels (10-1) to a victory over the Chanticleers (6-3) at Conway, S.C.
RUTGERS 42, (21) MIAMI 34: Rutgers (7-3) held the visiting Hurricanes (7-2) to their worst shooting performance of the season (9 for 47).
(22) KANSAS 72, PRAIRIE VIEW 60: Angel Goodrich's 19 points led the Jayhawks.
(25) WEST VIRGINIA 90, YOUNGSTOWN STATE 57: Taylor Palmer scored 15 points and the Mountaineers shot over 64 percent in defeating the Penguins.