Saturday, May 18, 2013
From staff and news services
QUINCY, Mass. - Lauren Hayden scored a career-high 18 points Wednesday night as the University of New England women's basketball team set a school record with its 13th straight conference win, a 61-47 victory over Eastern Nazarene.
Beth Suggs added 16 points for the Nor'easters (18-4, 15-0 Commonwealth Coast Conference) and became the 21st player in school history to score 1,000 career points. Suggs reached the milestone on a jumper with 11:22 left in the game.
By beating the Lions (10-12, 5-10) UNE clinches the top seed in the Commonwealth Coast tournament.
(1) BAYLOR 86, KANSAS 45: Brittney Griner had 26 points and had 13 rebounds to help the Lady Bears (21-1, 11-0 Big 12) beat the Jayhawks (14-7, 5-5) at Waco, Texas.
TCU 62, (5) KANSAS 55: Garlon Green scored 20 points and the Horned Frogs (10-12, 1-8 Big 12) held on to upset the Jayhawks (19-3, 7-2) at Forth Worth, Texas.
The Jayhawks, coming off a loss four days earlier against Oklahoma State, have their first losing streak in more than seven years. They had played 264 games in a row since January 2006 without consecutive losses, the longest active streak in NCAA Division I.
TCU never trailed in the game, which marked the midpoint of its conference schedule in its first Big 12 season, also the first season for new coach Trent Johnson.
Kansas, which has won or shared 12 of the 16 regular-season Big 12 titles since the league started, didn't score its first points until more than 7 minutes into the game. The Jayhawks finished with their fewest points in nearly six years.
(7) ARIZONA 73, STANFORD 66: Mark Lyons scored a season-high 25 points and led a key stretch in the second half, helping the Wildcats (20-2, 9-2 Pac-12) beat the Cardinal (14-9, 5-5) at Tuscon, Ariz.
(11) LOUISVILLE 68, RUTGERS 48: Wayne Blackshear scored a career-high 19 points and hit a 3-pointer to ignite a 23-2 run early in the second half that carried the Cardinals (19-4, 7-3 Big East) over the Scarlet Knights (12-9, 3-7) at Piscataway, N.J.
(12) MICHIGAN ST. 61, (18) MINNESOTA 50: Gary Harris scored 15 points and Keith Appling added 14 points before leaving the game with an injury to help the Spartans (19-4 8-2 Big Ten) beat the Golden Gophers (17-6, 5-5) at East Lansing, Mich.
Appling left the court with 1:17 left, holding his right shoulder after getting tied up with Joe Coleman. He returned to the bench in the final minute.
(14) BUTLER 77, ST. BONAVENTURE 58: Rotnei Clarke scored 17 points to help the Bulldogs (19-4, 6-2 Atlantic 10) beat the Bonnies (10-11, 3-5) at Indianapolis.
Andrew Smith added 13 points and Khyle Marshall and Chase Stigall each scored 12 as the Bulldogs improved to 12-0 at home this season.
INDIANA ST. 76, (16) CREIGHTON 57: Jake Odum scored 22 points, topping the 1,000-point mark for his career and leading the Sycamores (15-8, 8-4 Missouri Valley Conference) to an upset of the visiting Bluejays (20-4, 9-3).
PROVIDENCE 54, (17) CINCINNATI 50: Kadeem Batts scored 25 points to help the Friars (12-11, 4-7 Big East) beat the visiting Bearcats (18-5, 6-4).
(22) OKLAHOMA ST. 69, BAYLOR 67: Michael Cobbins blocked a shot then Markel Brown converted a fast-break layup with two-tenths of a second left in overtime, lifting the Cowboys (16-5, 6-3 Big 12 Conference) over the Bears (14-8, 5-4) at Stillwater, Okla.
(24) MARQUETTE 70, SOUTH FLORIDA 47: Todd Mayo and Vander Blue both scored 13 points to help the Golden Eagles beat the Bulls (10-12, 1-9) at Tampa, Fla.
Mayo had all of his season-high 13 points in the first half as Marquette grabbed a 39-16 halftime lead.
EASTERN NAZARENE 74, UNIVERSITY OF NEW ENGLAND 57: Justin Wagner scored 18 points on six 3-pointers to lead the Lions (15-7, 9-6) as they never trailed in a Commonwealth Coast Conference win over the Nor'easters (4-18, 3-12) at Quincy, Mass.
Devin Thompson finished with 14 points and seven rebounds to lead the Nor'easters.