LEWISTON – Same teams. Same frantic ending.

And same score.

Kyle Bishop scored two third- period goals and second-seeded Waterville rallied for a 3-2 victory over fourth-ranked St. Dominic in the Eastern Class A final Tuesday night at the Colisee.

“It’s hard to put it into words,” Bishop said. “To get back to the state (final), it’s a great feeling. We have another shot to win it.”

Waterville (14-6-1) will try to retain its state title against Biddeford (18-2-1) at 6 p.m Saturday at the Colisee.

“You can’t do any better than this,” Nick DeBlois of Waterville said. “We’re one step closer.”

Waterville beat St. Dom’s 3-2 in the state final last season. The Panthers never trailed in that one but staved off a rally in the closing minutes for their 20th state championship.

On Tuesday, the Panthers never led until Bishop banged home a rebound off a Josh Gaudette shot with 5:44 remaining.

“I called for a pass from (Gaudette),” Bishop said. “He shot it and the rebound came right to me. I don’t know how it got through.”

The Panthers needed to kill off a penalty with 3:55 left, and another minute with the Saints using an extra skater with their goalie, Shayne Curtis, pulled.

Waterville, shut out and out-played for two periods, scored three times in the third to twice rally from one-goal deficits. It has scored at least three goals in the third period of all three of its playoff games.

The Saints led 1-0 heading into the third before J.T. Whitten tied it after 45 seconds.

“Nick (DeBlois) got a good faceoff win and I went straight to the net,” Whitten said. “I just shot it and it went in.”

But the Saints again pulled ahead on a Will Desmarais power-play goal with 10:48 left.

That’s when Bishop took over. He tied it about two minutes later before scoring the winner.

The Saints went ahead 1-0 when Alex Parker stuffed the puck between the pads of Ryan Cormier with 8:40 left in the second. The goal came seconds after Cormier stopped Nate Bergeron from in close.

Waterville had a chance to tie when Katy Massey went in alone and was hauled down from behind with 2:40 left in the period.

The officials awarded a penalty shot, which went over the goalie’s right shoulder.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.