YARMOUTH – Top-seeded Yarmouth overcame a challenge from No. 4 York to advance to the Western Class B boys’ soccer final Saturday night.

Luke Pierce scored with less than 18 minutes left to lift the Clippers to a 1-0 victory in the regional semifinals.

It was the third win over York this season for Yarmouth, which will play No. 3 Falmouth for the Western title Wednesday.

“The first two games we beat them handily, but we knew they were a good team,” Pierce said. “We did not take them lightly at all.”

The Clippers outscored the Wildcats by a 7-1 margin during the regular-season games.

“We had two games with them earlier this year, and the scores were not indicative because they are as good a team as we’ve played all year,” Yarmouth Coach Mike Hagerty said. “We’ve fully expected a game like this just because they are so good and so quick in the midfield, and they play with five midfielders, which is tough to corral.”

It was a fast-paced game in which the scoring chances were limited. York held a 7-6 edge in shots for the game.

“They had the better of the play in the first half,” Hagerty said. “In the second half, we had the better of it. We calmed our game down and re-energized.”

Still, it took the Clippers (15-0-1) more than 60 minutes to score against the Wildcats (9-6-1).

The winner was set up on a heady play by Sam Torres, who won a battle with a defender for control of a through ball in the right side of the box. After gaining possession, Torres sent a pass through two defenders into the middle for Pierce, who nailed a shot under the crossbar from about 20 yards.

“A lot of kids would have tried to do too much with (the ball),” Hagerty said. “Sam did a terrific job not to turn into (the defensive) pressure. He held onto it and gave (Pierce) time to get up, and then he put the ball in the right spot.”

“I didn’t even look back,” Torres said. “I just heard (Pierce) call for it. The way he called for it I knew he was going to be open.”

“I had all the space in the world and (Torres) had two men on him,” Pierce said. “Most people would have tried to take the shot, but he heard me and passed back.”


Staff Writer Paul Betit can be contacted at 791-6424 or at: [email protected]