LIMINGTON — John Hubbard, who was a founder and former chief of the Limington Fire Department and ran a popular convenience store for 22 years, died Saturday. He was 88.

Mr. Hubbard was one of the first volunteers for the fire department, which he and a few other men started in 1952. He was a volunteer for many years and retired as chief after 20 years of service.

Mr. Hubbard remained active in the department until the early 1980s, said Doug Hubbard of Limington, the younger of his two children.

He remembers his father parking a firetruck in the family’s oversized, two-car garage. He said his father had a strong commitment to the community and was dedicated to the department, responding to nearly every fire call.

“He was a very civic-minded guy,” his son said. “He liked helping others. Every time a call came in and he was available, he was there.”

In his early years, Mr. Hubbard was involved in Limington’s town government, serving as a selectman for several years. He was also past master of the Adoniram Masonic Lodge in Limington and a 32nd Degree Mason.

Mr. Hubbard grew up in Limington and graduated from Limington Academy. He then entered the Army and served during World War II. He was married to Beulah Hubbard for 66 years.

His daughter, Janice Lewis of Limington, said her parents had a good life together.

The couple owned and operated a convenience store on Ossipee Trail in East Limington for 22 years. The family lived in an apartment above the store.

Doug Hubbard said the store was a popular place that sold everything from groceries to hardware. The Hubbards sold the store in 1972.

“He enjoyed running the business,” his son said. “He was an outgoing guy and a people person.”

Mr. Hubbard had a passion for the outdoors. He enjoyed going to his camp on Moosehead Lake to hunt and fish. He also rode his motorcycle.

For the past 10 years or so, Mr. Hubbard struggled with Alzheimer’s disease. His wife, who also had Alzheimer’s, died three years ago.

Lewis said her father’s health began to decline a couple of weeks ago, after he broke a shoulder.

While he was in the hospital, Mr. Hubbard was also treated for pneumonia.

“I really do think it was time for him to go,” his daughter said. “I’ll miss him.”


Staff Writer Melanie Creamer can be contacted at 791-6361 or at: [email protected]