TOPSHAM — Tanner Hubbard got the go-ahead goal with 4:18 left and Tom Lepage made 12 saves, including three key stops in the last two minutes, as seventh-ranked Lewiston upset second-seeded Mt. Ararat 6-4 in an Eastern Class A boys’ lacrosse quarterfinal Tuesday.

After Evan Whidden bounced a shot past Lepage off a Jonathan Brown assist with the Eagles (10-3) a man up, the teams entered the final quarter at 4-4.

Mt. Ararat had chances early in the period, but Lepage stopped Josh Richards and Connor Read, then robbed Kellan Bonner with five minutes to go.

As time wound down, Lewiston Coach Bill Bodwell told his team, “No shots from outside 13 (yards) at all.”

The Blue Devils were on a 30-second man advantage when Hubbard from in close on the right ripped a shot that goalie Ed Maguire seemed to stop, but the ball rolled slowly past and into the net for the 5-4 lead.

“The ball bounced off him and just kept going,” said Hubbard. “I got lucky, to be honest.”

Asked what his coach said before the final period with the season on the line, Hubbard said, “He told us he really liked what we were doing and to just keep doing it.”

After Lewiston (7-6) won the next draw, Brandon Tiner scored his third goal from well out off a feed from Chris Rancourt.

The Eagles pressed in the final 2:36, but Lepage came up with a huge save on Bonner, then stopped a point-blank bid by Brown before denying Brown again in the final seconds.

Lepage, who sat out with a concussion in the last matchup (a 6-1 Mt. Ararat win) said, “All I was thinking was stop the ball any way I could; throw my body in front of it when I had to. This win against the No. 2 team gives us a lot of momentum.”

With both teams playing a possession game early, Mt. Ararat went on top with a goal from Brown, but Tiner scored twice from the right side and Max Bolduc found a wide-open Hubbard on the transition to put the Blue Devils up 3-1.

“We knew we could beat them,” said Hubbard. “It was a matter of how hard we played.”

Jason Tome beat Lepage from Joardy Francine for a 3-2 halftime score, and Francine tied it in the third with a bounce shot, but Rancourt put Lewiston back on top just 40 seconds later.

“We knew they had a strong defense, and we just tried to find some weaknesses and attack them,” said Bodwell. “I told the kids to just be patient, but they’re teenagers and it can be hard to be patient.

“I told the seniors going into the fourth period this could be their last 12 minutes.”