STANDISH — A lakeside camp that had been converted into a year-round home was destroyed Wednesday by a fire that started in the kitchen stove.

Standish Fire Chief Brent J. Libby said all three occupants of the home at 47 Eleanor Avenue – who were housesitting for the owner, Thomas West – escaped without injury.

Libby said the home was located on Watchic Lake about 500 feet from the nearest driveway.

Firefighters had to stretch hoses by hand through a garage and down over a hill in order to reach the home.

Snow-covered, slippery roads delayed the fire department’s response to the fire, which was reported at 4:14 p.m., Libby said.

Eight neighboring towns either responded to the fire or covered Standish’s fire station. Crews did not leave the scene until 8 p.m