Police investigate stabbing at Fourth of July gathering

A young man likely stabbed a man at an alcohol-fueled Fourth of July gathering the week before he was to marry the man’s daughter, police said.

Chief Deputy Ryan Reardon said the Kennebec County Sheriff’s Office responded to a property on Fire Road 12 just before 10 p.m. Thursday, where authorities found Theodore Fullerton, 58, with an apparent stab wound under his right arm. The property is off Neck Road along China Lake.

Timothy Curtis, 24, of Baileyville had fled by the time deputies arrived and he hasn’t been charged with a crime, Reardon said Friday.

Reardon said the family had been celebrating the holiday at the home when “things got out of hand.” He said nobody saw Curtis with a weapon, but Fullerton’s wound was consistent with a stabbing.

Fullerton refused medical treatment initially, but the size of the wound led authorities to take him to the hospital, Reardon said. Joy Leach, a spokeswoman for MaineGeneral Medical Center in Augusta, said Friday that Fullerton was treated and released.

Reardon said Fullerton didn’t want to press charges and police aren’t sure how the events unfolded, since deputies “couldn’t get a consistent story from the four or five people they interviewed,” he said, attributing that to witnesses’ heavy drinking.


Speed and alcohol believed to be factors in deadly crash

Speed and alcohol are believed to be factors in a one-car crash Thursday night that killed one man and seriously injured two others, police said.

The car hit a utility pole on Unity Road about 7:15 p.m., snapped the pole and killed a passenger, Oscar Tizon-Brito, 23, a Peruvian national who was living in Providence, R.I., said Waldo County Chief Deputy Jeff Trafton.

Alvaro Soares, 27, of Unity and his sister, Kelley Soares, 22, of Cranston, R.I., were taken by helicopter to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor.

Police said Alvaro Soares was the driver and the group was leaving a family gathering. Trafton said Kelley Soares was ejected from the car.

Trafton said the transformer on the utility pole exploded at least twice while he was there. It took firefighters two hours to get the driver out of the car, and he was alert and talking to crews at that time.

Trafton said an accident reconstruction unit was at the scene Friday. He said early indications are that speed and alcohol were factors in the crash.


Double stabbing at local bar sends two men to hospital

Police are investigating a double stabbing at a bar in which one victim’s nose was almost cut off.

Police said it started with an argument at Phinney’s Bar just before midnight Wednesday. Two men got into a fight and one was stabbed.

Police told WABI-TV that a third man’s nose was almost cut off when he tried to intervene.

Both victims were taken to Down East Community Hospital in Machias.

Police said Peter Lyons, 42, of Trescott is charged with aggravated assault.


Town officials start process of finding new town motto

Town officials are starting the process of finding a new town motto to replace one that was dropped because it was historically inaccurate.

Town Council Vice Chairwoman Kristina Egan told The Times Record that officials will discuss the possibility of establishing a new motto at a meeting Tuesday.

Freeport was known as “the birthplace of Maine.”

As local lore had it, representatives from the Joint Commission of Massachusetts and Maine met at a tavern in town to discuss separation.

There’s even a plaque outside the tavern, and the motto appeared on the town website and town documents.

But last month, town officials decided to drop the motto because it’s been invalidated.

Even the Daughters of the American Revolution, which installed the plaque, acknowledges that the claim was wrong.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.