FairPoint customers lose landline, Internet service

As many as 60 FairPoint Communications customers in Kennebunk’s Lower Village lost their landline telephone and Internet service on Monday.

Crews later determined that a marine cable at the bottom of the Kennebunk River needed to be repaired.

Jeff Nevins, a spokesman for FairPoint, said Monday night that the telephone outage for some customers could last well into Tuesday.

Engineers need to inspect the copper cable at low tide, which takes place about 6 a.m. Tuesday.

Nevins said the cable crosses the Kennebunk River near the bridge that connects Kennebunk’s Lower Village with Kennebunkport’s downtown business district.

FairPoint could decide to repair the cable, which is about 30 years old, or it could switch customers over to a fiber optic cable that runs underneath the bridge, Nevins said.

Kennebunk police are urging residents who require emergency public safety assistance to use their cellular telephones to dial 911.

They may also call the Sanford Regional Communications Center at 608-4130.

Residents should check the police department’s Facebook page for further updates.


Maine’s gas prices rise another 7 cents in week

The cost of a gallon of gasoline in Maine continues to skyrocket, and is rising faster than the national average.

Price-monitoring website reported Monday that the average retail cost of a gallon of gas in Maine jumped more than 7 cents in the past week to $3.79. That compares to a national average that rose about 3 cents.

Maine residents are now paying 11 cents more at the pump than the national average.

In-state prices are now 17 cents higher than on the same day last year and almost 23 cents higher than a month ago.

The Maine price is based on a survey of more than 1,200 gas stations.


W. Newfield man arrested after high-speed car chase

A West Newfield man was arrested early Sunday morning after leading police on a high-speed car chase through three York County towns, officials said.

Jamie R. West, 36, was arrested after leading police on a chase in a stolen car through Wells, Kennebunk and Kennebunkport before crashing the Kia Soul and running from officers, according to Wells police.

A Wells officer was on a routine traffic stop on Route 1 around 1:43 a.m. Sunday when a car that had been reported stolen in Kittery passed by heading north. The officer followed the Kia and saw it going about 100 mph before entering Kennebunk, police said.

A Kennebunk police officer took over the chase on Main Street in Kennebunk, where police reported West was driving 70-80 mph downtown before turning onto Summer Street and accelerating to 80-100 mph, according to police.

West lost control of the car on Spring Street in Kennebunkport as he tried to make a sharp right onto Main Street. Officers ordered West to the ground as he got out of the car, but he refused and took off running, according to police.

West was stopped after he slipped and fell during the foot chase.

He was treated at Goodall Hospital in Sanford for minor injuries, then taken to the York County Jail.

West was charged by Wells police with eluding a police officer and violating conditions of release. According to police, West has two active sets of bail conditions and had two active warrants.

West may face additional charges from other agencies, according to Wells police.

West is being held on $2,500 bail.


Woman will face charges of assaulting man, officer

A Massachusetts woman faces charges of domestic assault and assault on an officer following an incident on Sebago Lake on Saturday.

Police were called to 10 Bog Alley Road in Standish at 6 p.m. for a report of a woman who was intoxicated and had slapped her boyfriend multiple times while they were boating on the lake, according to the Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office. Deputies arrested Melissa Talbot, 29, of Braintree, Mass.

As she was being placed, handcuffed, in a cruiser, Talbot kicked Deputy Joe Dyar, police said. Assault on an officer is a felony.

She is free on bail pending a future court appearance.


Police say 43 storage units were burglarized at 2 sites

Detectives with the Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office are investigating a wave of burglaries of self-storage units in North Yarmouth and New Gloucester.

The first batch was reported early Friday when customers at Walnut Hill self-storage in North Yarmouth discovered the locks on their storage units had been cut and items, including clothing, furniture, electronics and tools were stolen.

The owner of the business reported that others had been broken into and deputies determined that 41 in all had been opened, said police.

Two other storage unit burglaries were reported at New Gloucester Self Storage on Sabbathday Road on Friday.

Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Trevor Cote at the sheriff’s office, 774-1444.


Two workers seriously hurt in 20-foot fall from ladders

Two men were rushed to the hospital Monday morning with serious injuries after falling more than 20 feet while adding siding to a garage.

David Tremblay, 50, of Leeds and Trent Labreque, 30, of Vassalboro were taken to Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston, said Richmond Police Chief Scott MacMaster.

Tremblay was flown to the hospital by LifeFlight helicopter after suffering head injuries.

The men were working on separate ladders applying protective Tyvek to a private two-story garage on Pleasant Pond Farm Lane, off Route 201, when the accident occurred, MacMaster said.

He said it appears that one of the men may have lost his balance and pulled the other to the ground or that a wind gust may have caught the paper and threw both men off balance.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.