Biker dies from his injuries after bear struck motorcycle

A Southampton man injured when a bear ran into the road and struck the side of his motorcycle has died of his injuries.

Police said 63-year-old Edward Neid died Thursday at Baystate Medical Center in Springfield.

The Westfield News reported that a witness told police that Neid was riding his motorcycle in Westfield at about 8 a.m. Wednesday when a large black bear emerged from the east side of the roadway and ran into the motorcycle, striking it broadside and sending Neid out of control and tumbling to the ground.

The bear ran back the way it came and disappeared. Witnesses say it did not appear to be seriously injured.


Two fatal morning accidents remain under investigation

State police are investigating two early morning fatal accidents.

Authorities said a man walking on Interstate 495 north in Haverhill was struck by a vehicle at about 1:25 a.m. Friday.

The victim was identified as Nicholas Nadeau, 24, of Kingston, N.H.

One man is dead and a woman is facing motor vehicle homicide and drunken driving charges in connection with a fiery two-car crash on Route 140 in New Bedford at about 2 a.m. Friday.

The victim was identified as Adam Taylor, 23, of Acushnet.

The Bristol County district attorney’s office said Caitlin Chouinard, 26, of Fairhaven was arraigned Friday in a hospital where she is being treated for injuries from the crash.

She pleaded not guilty and was ordered to return to court Jan. 24. Bail was set at $5,000 cash.


Accused firearms trafficker will be sent to New Jersey

A New Hampshire man charged with illegally selling firearms over the Internet has waived his right to a preliminary hearing.

Matthew Crisafi of Hampton, N.H., is charged with three firearms trafficking offenses. After making an appearance in U.S. District Court on Friday, he will be transferred to New Jersey.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office said the 38-year-old Crisafi, an independent trucking company owner, used the website Black Market Reloaded to negotiate with a buyer who was actually an undercover officer.

He is accused of selling several semiautomatic handguns and rifles, estimated to be worth more than $11,000.

Officials said Crisafi shipped some of the firearms through New Jersey, where they were seized by law enforcement.


Public transit office gets 2-acre solar array on roof

The main office of the Rhode Island Public Transit Authority in Providence now has a new energy source: a 2-acre solar array on its roof.

Gov. Lincoln Chafee and members of the state’s congressional held a ribbon-cutting ceremony Friday morning to celebrate installation of a 300-kilowatt solar panel at the main RIPTA building.

Funding for the $1.9 million project came in part from federal sources, including a $1.2 million Federal Transit Administration TIGGER grant.

That grant required a 20 percent state match, which was funded with $240,000 received in a settlement between the state and the American Electric Power Corp. over power plant emissions.

Other funding came from RIPTA and federal grants.

– From news service reports