FREEPORT – A fire that was caused by food being left on a kitchen stove destroyed a Freeport home Sunday afternoon and left an elderly man, whose wife died recently, and his adult son homeless.

Freeport Fire Chief Darrel Fournier said Lester Scott Jr. and his son, Lester Colby Scott III, were not at their mobile home on 5 Ware Road when fire broke out around 1:30 p.m. A neighbor notified the fire department but by the time firefighters arrived smoke and flames were shooting through the roof.

Fournier said the American Red Cross was notified and was working with the Scotts on finding them temporary housing. Scott’s home – it sustained about $100,000 in damage – was not insured.

Firefighters from Durham, Brunswick and Lisbon assisted Freeport. No injuries were reported and a family cat survived the fire.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.