A 63-year-old Berwick woman is in “critical” condition at a Boston hospital after suffering severe smoke inhalation in a fire on First Street on Friday.

Firefighters responded to a fire in a home at 8:30 a.m. and found Rebecca Galleshaw still in bed, authorities said. Galleshaw lives alone.

Firefighters administered CPR and were able to get a pulse before she was rushed to a hospital in New Hampshire. She was later transferred to Massachusetts General Hospital.

Investigators with the State Fire Marshal’s Office said the fire started in electrical wiring in the basement.

Fire damage was confined to the basement but the rest of the one-story house sustained heavy smoke damage, authorities said.

The fire was under control by 9 a.m.

David Hench can be contacted at 791-6327 or at:


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.