JERUSALEM — Thousands of Palestinians furious over the killing of a local teenager swarmed the streets of east Jerusalem on Friday to demand a new intifada. The fierce clashes with police that followed the teen’s funeral stirred fears that a mass uprising could already be underway.

The protesters waved Palestinian flags and chanted “enough of the suffering, enough of the pain,” capping a week that has overflowed with both for Israelis as well as Palestinians.

After soldiers on Monday discovered the bodies of three Israeli teens who had been missing for more than two weeks, the badly burned remains of 16-year-old Mohammed Abu Khadier were found in a forest two days later. Although no definitive link has been established between the cases, there was no doubt in the Palestinian neighborhood of Shuafat on Friday that Khadier’s killing was carried out by Jewish extremists, and that it was intended as revenge.

The murders have brought Israeli-Palestinian relations to their most combustible level in nearly a decade, and Friday’s running street battles between rock-throwing demonstrators and stun-grenade-firing police revived dark memories of intifadas, or uprisings, from decades past. An exchange of rocket fire and missile strikes in the Gaza Strip on Friday only added to the sense of building tensions.

“We can’t live like this. Every day our people are killed,” said one Palestinian youth masked with a kaffiyah, or Arab headdress, who declined to give his name for fear of being identified by the Israeli authorities. He said that he and his friends could only see another intifada in their future, one similar to the uprisings that convulsed this region in the late 1980s and early 2000s.

With peace talks dead and no end in sight to the Israeli occupation, the Israeli government “has gradually been building up the factors for the eruption of a new intifada,” said Qais Abu Layla, a member of the Palestinian Legislative Council, who stressed that the new uprising would include nonviolent means, such as boycotts.

Others were more hopeful that the Mideast’s latest crisis would dissipate. The killing of Khadier “took place during a delicate situation, but I do believe it will not escalate much more than what we see today,” said Giora Eiland, former head of Israel’s National Security Council.

As clashes continued late into the evening, Israelis in the southern part of the country took cover in bomb shelters as Palestinian militants continued to fire rockets into Israel from the Gaza Strip.

Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman visited the southern town of Sderot, which has borne the brunt of the rocket fire, and said that Israel should not consider a ceasefire with Hamas because “no such agreement can be reached with Hamas,” Israeli media reported.

He went on to criticize Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s statements from Thursday night that “quiet will be answered with quiet.”

“This is a serious mistake,” Lieberman said.

Netanyahu also said Thursday that if the rocket attacks don’t stop, troops mobilized around Gaza on Thursday afternoon “will act forcefully.”