December 2014 photo by Gordon Chibroski/Staff Photographer; historic photo from the Portland Press Herald print archives (photographer uncredited).

A news photograph from April 28, 1959, shows a row of triple-deckers on Anderson Street in East Bayside. Within a few years, most of this block was designated a “slum” and demolished to make way for the Kennedy Park public housing neighborhood.

The Portland Room of the Portland Public Library is in the process of organizing and conserving the archival collection of original Portland Press Herald, Maine Sunday Telegram and Evening Express photographic negatives — a major collection that spans from 1937 to 2005. Find more photos at