OLD ORCHARD BEACH —An attic fire at 36 Atlantic Ave. early Tuesday morning was caused by an overloaded extension cord, according to the fire chief.

Old Orchard Beach Fire Chief Ricky Plummer said firefighters were called to the scene around 2:45 a.m. on Tuesday to a fire on the second floor of the home.

The fire was contained to the second floor, and the two people in the house were able to exit the home safely, said Plummer.

Firefighters did “a good job,” said Plummer, despite a cold temperature of 5 degree and a

frozen hydrant.

Plummer said the fire was caused by an overloaded extension cord.

He said there was little structural damage to the home, but an inspection of the home’s electrical system was needed before it could be determined whether it was habitable.

Plummier said the residents of the home were able to stay at a friend’s home after the fire.

Local firefighters were assisted by fire departments in Saco and Scarborough.+±



        filed under: