NEW YORK — The prosecution of charges in a gunfire incident at the famous Waldorf Astoria hotel is being put on hold while the investigation continues, a spokesman for the Manhattan district attorney said Sunday.

Police said earlier in the day that a man was arrested after a gun in his pocket went off Saturday night, injuring four people. Another man was also arrested.

“Prosecution of this case is deferred while the investigation continues into the circumstances surrounding the discharge of the firearm and its removal from the scene,” said Patrick Muncie, spokesman for Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance.

Police had said Vladimir Gotlibovsky, 42, was arrested on charges including assault, reckless endangerment, and tampering with physical evidence. Felix Gotlibovsky, 51, was also arrested, on charges of criminal possession of a weapon and tampering with physical evidence.