SOUTH PORTLAND — Deering used a no-huddle offense to take control in the first half and rolled to a 27-14 win against South Portland in a Class A South football game Saturday afternoon at Martin Memorial Field.

The Rams (3-1) scored all their points in the first two quarters, then resorted to a more conservative approach in the second half to maintain their edge.

“The overall goal in the beginning was to keep (the offense) sped up and see what we could do,” Deering Coach Jason Jackson said. “Basically, we wanted to speed the pace up of the game in the first half and get the lead. In the second half, it was let’s just sit on the lead, get the first downs and make them have to beat us.”

The Rams held onto the ball for more than 17 minutes in the second half.

“There are lot of things we need shore up, but what team doesn’t,” Jackson said.

Deering opened a 27-7 lead in the first half.

The Rams got on the board less than four minutes into the game when quarterback Max Chabot scored on a 7-yard run, capping a seven-play, 40-yard drive that came after the Red Riots had to punt the ball from the end zone.

“We had real tough field position the entire first half,” South Portland Coach Steve Stinson said. “It was just too much of a hole to get out of.”

Still, South Portland (2-2) tied the game at 7-7 on its second possession when quarterback Matt Crockett scored on a 19-yard run.

But the Rams scored on their next three possessions to open a commanding lead.

Chabot got his second touchdown on a 5–yard run, finishing a nine-play, 48-yard drive that was set up by Nate Richards’ 45-yard kickoff return.

Five minutes into second quarter, Deering made it a 21-7 lead when Rob Dacey scored on a 6-yard run. The Rams started at the South Portland 27 after another punt from the end zone.

Deering then drove 66 yards in seven plays, with Scott Brisette scoring on an 8-yard run.

Chabot helped keep the scoring drives alive by completing 7 of 9 passes for 109 yards.

South Portland cut into the deficit in the third quarter when Spencer Houlette plunged in from the 1.

Crockett completed 10 of 17 passes for 132 yards in the second half, but the Red Riots couldn’t get any closer.

“In the second half, I thought the kids did a great job of battling,” Stinson said. “Deering is a very talented team, and our kids came back and got us into position to get back into the game in the fourth quarter.”

Dylan Rottkov, a senior defensive back/wide receiver and one of South Portland’s four captains, did not suit up for the second consecutive game.

Stinson declined to comment on the reason for Rottkov’s absence, referring all questions to South Portland Athletic Director Todd Livingston. Livingston also declined to comment on the situation or to say whether Rottkov would play next weekend against Bangor.

The game was originally scheduled for Friday, but it was moved to Saturday afternoon because of a problem with the electrical system that has been plaguing the entire high school complex for the last 10 days. The power went out twice during the game, shutting down the scoreboard momentarily. Livingston expects repairs to be made Sunday.

filed under: