No one was hurt in a fire that heavily damaged a single-family home at 33 Joseph Lane in Auburn on Friday night.

Battalion Chief Scott Hunter of the Auburn Fire Department said the fire broke out about 11:10 p.m. He said the fire started when homeowner Aaron Jennings lit a fire in the fireplace and then went to the basement to do laundry. When he returned a few minutes later the fire had spread to some nearby boxes and a Christmas tree.

Jennings, who was the only person home at the time, was not hurt. He managed to rescue his cats.

Hunter said the fire heavily damaged the 1½-story home, which was undergoing renovations.