A Vassalboro couple lost their home to an early-morning fire Friday that officials said began in the attached garage.

“When we got here it was a ball of fire,” said Vassalboro Fire Chief Eric Rowe. “The garage was completely involved and the fire got into the house and the attic.

The home at 3 Bradley Lane was occupied by Jeanne and Philip Mccabe. Rowe said there no injuries, but the couple lost several chickens in the blaze, which was reported about 7:15 a.m.

Rowe and other firefighters remained on the scene until about 12:30 p.m.

An investigator with the Office of the State Fire Marshal was at the property as well, and Rowe said it appeared that the fire might have started in an electrical appliance in the garage.

Two vehicles parked next to the garage were damaged as well, he said.

He said an insurance adjuster was on the way Friday and the couple did not need assistance from relief agencies.

Vassalboro firefighters were aided by departments from South China, China Village, Winslow and Waterville.

Anne Owens, a paralegal at a law firm in Waterville, was driving to work about 7:15 a.m. when she saw the fire and stopped.

“We live right down the road on the Bog Road, and it was not right for anyone to drive by,” she said Friday afternoon. “I wanted to make sure they were out of the house and everyone accounted for. I wanted to be sure someone had contacted 911.”

She said she saw a man outside the home on his phone and then she spoke to Jeanne Mccabe.

Owens said several other people stopped as well and asked if they could help move the vehicles that were closest to the garage. However, it appeared that the keys were inside the house, and that soon proved impossible.

“The garage was caving in as we were standing there,” Owens said.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: