AUGUSTA — A New York man who has been wanted in Maine the last five months in connection with a homicide in Augusta late last year has been arrested in New York City.

Aubrey Armstrong, 26, was arrested last week at a home in Queens, and he appeared in a New York courtroom Monday charged with being a fugitive from justice, according to a news release from Stephen McCausland, spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety.

Armstrong is the fourth person to be charged in connection with the death of Joseph Marceau, 31, of Augusta. Marceau was beaten to death Nov. 23 in a Washington Street apartment in what authorities said was a drug-related homicide.

McCausland said Tuesday that Armstrong is contesting extradition to Maine.

“His arrival here will be at some point, but we don’t know when that will be,” he said in an interview.

Armstrong will face a murder charge after he is extradited to Maine, according to McCausland.

“The extradition process has its own timeline, and we’re not sure when this will be resolved or when he will be returned to Maine,” he said.

Three other people have been charged with murder in the case.

On Jan. 26, Zina Marie Fritze, 27, and Michael Sean McQuade, 45, both of Augusta, pleaded not guilty to a charge of murder.

A day later, Fritze died after she was found hanging from a bed sheet in her cell in the Kennebec County jail. She had not been considered to be a significant threat to herself, jail officials said.

In February, Damik Davis, 25, of Queens, New York, pleaded not guilty to a charge of murder.

Both Davis and McQuade are being held without bail.

The body of Marceau was found inside a fourth-floor apartment at 75 Washington St. after neighbors reported a disturbance there around 8 p.m. on Nov. 23, 2015.

Augusta police and a Maine State Police dog searched the neighborhood, and Davis was arrested a short time later. Police continued searching for two other people who were occupants of the apartment.

Those tenants were Fritze and McQuade, who were arrested Jan. 22, 2016, on alleged probation violations on the same day that indictments against the pair were handed up by the Kennebec County grand jury.

The indictments were sealed until Jan. 25. Police had questioned Fritze and McQuade two days after Marceau’s body was found but they were released without charges.

On Feb. 16, 2016, authorities identified Armstrong as the fourth person involved in the slaying. The Kennebec County grand jury indicted Armstrong, who goes by the street name “Butta.”

At the time, McCausland said Armstrong had probably returned to New York, and police had been working with both the New York Police Department and the U.S. Marshals Service to find him.

Few details about Marceau’s death have been released, although police at the time said it was a drug-related killing. Assistant Attorney General John Alsop said this year that Marceau had been beaten to death and no knives or firearms were involved.

Marceau lived about a mile away in an apartment on Winthrop Street.