NORTH YARMOUTH — The town agreed in June to rehire a former deputy chief of the fire and rescue department and pay $14,000 to resolve a legal dispute that arose after he was fired from his job in 2014.

But Bill Young has since resigned his position, about a month after signing a settlement agreement with the town, Town Manager Rosemary Roy said Thursday.

Roy said Young returned to work in late April, but resigned in July. She did not provide details about his resignation, but said it was at “his own choosing” and there was no conflict with the town.

“We were rather a bit surprised,” Roy said.

Young could not immediately be reached for comment Thursday. He works as a paramedic for the Old Orchard Beach Fire Department.

According to terms of a settlement released this week by the town at the request of the Portland Press Herald, Young rejoined the town as director of community paramedicine at a pay rate of $13.25 an hour. The town also paid Young a total of $4,000 and his attorneys $10,000 in two separate payments. Documents in his personnel file would be expunged within one year if there were no further issues, according to the settlement. Payments to Young’s attorneys were covered by the town’s insurance, and Young’s portion was paid with town contingency funds, Roy said.

In exchange, Young agreed not to pursue legal action against the town.

“The Town of North Yarmouth and William Young have agreed to resolve their legal disputes and differences to avoid prolonged and expensive litigation,” the parties said in a joint statement included in the settlement.

“Both parties agree that it is in their best interests and more importantly in the best interests of the citizens of the town to put an end to the litigation and work together to provide the best possible emergency medical services to the people of North Yarmouth and surrounding communities.”

Young was fired in 2014 after a meeting with Roy and other officials about a letter Young wrote to Steve Palmer, chairman of the Board of Selectmen at the time. In the letter, Young complained about a temporary halt to the longstanding practice of allowing fire-rescue department volunteers to wash their personal vehicles at the fire station.

Young was later reinstated and put on administrative leave, but filed a notice of intent to sue in April and sought $400,000 in damages. In his filing, Young said he was fired for refusing to sign a written warning about circumventing the chain of command. Roy said in April that Young was terminated because he was being verbally abusive and disrespectful.

Since the incident, employees are again allowed to wash their cars at the fire department and the town has a written policy for the practice, Roy said.

Peter McGuire can be contacted at 791-6325 or at:

[email protected]

Twitter: @PeteL_McGuire

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.