BIDDEFORD — Biddeford High’s football team showed it’s ready to compete in Class B this year by shutting down two-time defending state champion Marshwood’s offense and holding on for a 20-13 victory Friday night at Waterhouse Field.

Biddeford had a decided edge in total yardage, outgaining the Hawks, 348-155, and also won the turnover battle, 3-1.

Biddeford fullback Brady Crepeau (26 carries, 146 yards) and quarterback Joey Curit (12-115 yards) both rushed for over 100 yards while Marshwood gained 69 on the ground.

“We knew that Marshwood was the favorite,” Curit said, “so this was a huge game for us and we could really prove to a lot of people that we’re a contender this year.”

Curit opened the scoring with a 56-yard scamper, spinning out of a group of defenders near the line of scrimmage, then sprinting to the end zone.

“I just bounced off a guy, slipped off of him, and then I saw Patrick Pearl coming with a block and that’s all we needed,” Joey Curit said.

Crepeau pushed the lead to 14-0 when he capped an 89-yard drive with a 6-yard run, plowing through one tackle and spinning off a second with 10:49 left in the first half.

Crepeau – playing his first football game since his freshman season because of injuries – bludgeoned the defense with powerful runs, both on dive plays and option pitches around the edge.

“For me, I just think I have to set the tone, being a fullback in a fullback-driven offense,” Crepeau said. “Running hard as many times as I can. Yeah, it felt good to be back, though.”

Led by senior linebacker Austin Dutremble, who had also been out for the most of the past two seasons with injuries, the Tiger defense raced to the ball to swarm Marshwood runners.

Biddeford led 14-0 at the half.

Thanks to two highlight-reel plays and an improved defensive effort in the second half, Marshwood was able to stay in the game.

Quarterback Cole McDaniel’s 16-yard scoring run on fourth-and-11 made the score 14-7 with 7:04 left in the third quarter.

Crepeau pushed it back to 20-7 on a 2-yard run after Biddeford recovered a fumble at the Marshwood 22.

Kyle Glidden made it a one-score game when he caught a bouncing punt on the run, made a nice cutback and broke through the last-chance tackle for a 51-yard return for a touchdown with 7:45 left in the game.

Biddeford recovered the ensuing onside kick, then completed three third-down passes for first downs. The first was from Crepeau to Pearl, the next two were Curit completions. The final one got the ball inside Marshwood’s 10 but an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Biddeford pushed the ball back to first down at the 21.

On the next play, Ian Parmley picked off Curit on a first-and-10 pass from the Marshwood 21 with under three minutes to play.

“I thought that was ill-advised, especially down there with the clock as your friend,” Biddeford Coach Brian Curit said. “We’ll look at that tomorrow and hit ourselves up the side of the head, I suppose.”

Two more Biddeford penalties and a superior comeback catch for 20 yards by Glidden helped Marshwood reach the Biddeford 20.

Biddeford then secured the win when Cam Latagne, in good coverage position, intercepted a McDaniel pass at the 8 with 27 seconds to play.

“Too many mistakes and the ball security was bad,” Marshwood Coach Alex Rotsko said. “And I think we got handled up front on both sides of the ball.”