WELLS — After losing its past two Homecoming games, unbeaten Wells High rushed for 334 yards and seven touchdowns Friday night to score a 49-6 victory over Mountain Valley in a Class C South football game.

Mountain Valley (2-2) finished with 155 rushing yards. Neither team completed a pass.

“Homecoming week – everybody else likes it – most football coaches hate it,” Wells Coach Tim Roche said. “It’s distractions everywhere across the board. Your focus isn’t always on the football game.”

But Evan Whitten took care of business for the Warriors (4-0) with three first-half touchdowns and a total of 111 rushing yards.

“As a senior, it feels great to come out here and win this game,” Whitten said. “I’ve got to thank my line because they blocked great for me. I made the cuts when I had to and I just ran.”

The Warriors also capitalized on penalties that cost the Falcons 83 yards and a touchdown.

“We have a lot of talent but we dug ourselves in a hole with stupid penalties,” Mountain Valley Coach Patrick Mooney said. “We’re a young team and we kind of unraveled mentally. You can’t do that with Wells, who has 19 seniors. They’re the real deal.”

Riley Dempsey scored the game’s first points three minutes in with a 35-yard run, giving the Warriors a 6-0 lead following a failed 2-point conversion.

Deandre Woods added two points for Wells four minutes later when he tackled Kyle Farrar of Mountain Valley in the end zone for a safety.

Chad Fitzpatrick then scored his first of two touchdowns on a 17-yard run, giving the Warriors a 15-0 lead at the end of the first quarter.

“We have a lot of great running backs, so we can mix it up,” Roche said.

“Mountain Valley is a good football team. We came out really tough and focused, and we took it to them.”

In the second quarter, Mountain Valley held the Warriors scoreless for 71/2 minutes before Whitten ran 12 yards into the end zone with 4:35 left in the half.

He added another touchdown three minutes later with a 40-yard rush, extending Wells’ lead to 28-0.

Farrar answered for the Falcons when, on second and 19 with 54 seconds left in the half, he broke through for an 88-yard touchdown run.

Following a missed extra point, Mountain Valley looked poised to end the half on a high note despite trailing 28-6.

But Whitten didn’t allow that to happen.

He managed to score again, capping off Wells’ 27-second drive with a 34-yard touchdown run.

The Warriors entered halftime up 35-6.

“Evan Whitten, to me, is the best back in the league with the way he moves,” Roche said. “He’s also a hockey player, and he’s shifty.”

Wells didn’t let up. Tyler Bridge opened the third quarter with a 35-yard touchdown run to give the Warriors a 42-6 lead with just 1:20 elapsed.

Farrar answered with another 67-yard scoring run for the Falcons that was called back because of a Mountain Valley holding penalty.

“We know that as long as he’s on the field, he’s going to break one at some point,” Mooney said of Farrar. “He broke a couple of them but again, penalties killed us.”

Fitzpatrick scored Wells’ final points with a 24-yard run in the fourth quarter.

“We know what we’re capable of,” Mooney said. “We just need to put it together for four quarters, and we haven’t done that yet.”