MONMOUTH — Lydia Giguere scored with less than five minutes remaining in overtime as No. 5 Waynflete defeated No. 1 Monmouth Academy 2-1 in a Class C South girls’ soccer semifinal Saturday afternoon.

The goal, Giguere’s second of the game, came off a set piece. The ball bounced off a couple players on both sides before Giguere found it at her feet.

“It hit a couple of people and bounced out to me,” she said. “I called off one of our players, and we practice those kinds of shots, so I had confidence that if I hit it in one spot, it would go in.”

The Flyers (10-3-2) tied the game on a Giguere header with 9:51 remaining in regulation.

“It seemed like we definitely grabbed a good amount of momentum there,” said Waynflete Coach Todd Dominski. “It took forever to get (a goal), and it took formation changes, but once we got it, it gave us confidence.”

Trailing 1-0 with just 20 minutes to go in regulation, Waynflete began sending more girls on the attack and kept pressuring Monmouth’s freshman keeper, Katie Harris.

“We moved people up and tried to get the ball forward and hold it so we could get something good on goal,” said Dominski. “We knew they were a dangerous team on the counter attack, so we had to be careful of that.”

The Mustangs (14-2) couldn’t capitalize on their many opportunities, especially in the first half, Coach Gary Trafton said.

“We had a lot more momentum in the first half, and we had a lot more opportunities,” Trafton said. “We just missed them, and they put a little more pressure on us.”

The game was a rematch of last year’s regional final, won by Waynflete.

“If anybody knows anything about soccer, they know that’s not a (typical 1 vs. 5 matchup),” Trafton said. “They are a very good team, and we knew that, but they were more physical than we were.”

MADISON 1, SACOPEE VALLEY 0: Madeline Wood’s goal midway through the first half gave the second-seeded Bulldogs (15-1) a win over No. 3 Sacopee Valley (12-2-2) in a Class C semifinal at Madison.

Wood scored her 25th goal of the season with 18:56 left in the first half, following a corner kick from Ashley Emery.

“Ashley sent it in around the 6 and I was just making my usual run,” Wood said. “It bounced off the goalie and I was just in the right place at the right time.”

Madison keeper Lauren Hay finished with six saves. On one sequence after a corner kick, Hay stopped one shot and her defense saved two others.

The Hawks also narrowly missed in the first half when Hannah Manchester’s shot from 20 yards hit the crossbar.

Sacopee keeper Madison Day finished with eight saves.