Finn Bowe hit a free throw with no time remaining in overtime Saturday night to give third-seeded Cape Elizabeth a 50-49 victory against sixth-seeded Brunswick in a Class A South boys’ basketball quarterfinal at the Portland Expo.

The Capers (12-7) will meet second-seeded Falmouth in the semifinals at 6 p.m. Wednesday at Cross Insurance Arena.

Cape Elizabeth and Brunswick couldn’t have been more evenly matched. Heading into the game, they sported identical records. During the game, both teams struggled with nerves while also showing tenacity and verve.

In the end, Bowe – who only this week participated in his first contact practice in more than a month after suffering a broken fibula – made the difference with his free throw.

Bowe went to the line after a defender grazed his arm as time expired on a 3-point attempt. He used an up-fake to get the Brunswick player off balance.

After a brief discussion by the three officials to make sure the foul came before the buzzer, Bowe (team-high 14 points) calmly hit the free throw.

“My teammates got me there,” said Bowe, who missed half of the season because of the injury. “Everyone was making plays. They set me up to be the hero but I just made the (free throw).”

The play followed one free throw by Josh Dorr of the Dragons, who was fouled on a drive with 6.7 seconds left.

Dragons Coach Todd Hanson thought the game was going to a second overtime when Bowe was forced to fake the defender.

“It’s a judgment call,” Hanson said. “In an overtime game in the tournament, I just wish … it seemed like (the officials) were unsure. So I wish the three of them got together and had a discussion. And it didn’t seem like they had that discussion.

“When I saw him up-fake I thought that bought us time and ran the clock out. He went back up and it (appeared) a late call.”

The free throw capped the last comeback by the Capers, who trailed 20-12 at halftime, 38-29 with five minutes left in regulation and 46-42 in overtime.

An 11-0 run gave the Capers their first lead, 40-38, since leading 8-5 at the end of the first quarter. Quinn Hewitt (12 points, 6 rebounds) had five points in the spurt.

Nathan Benoit’s runner in the lane with 20 seconds left in regulation for the Dragons tied it.

“It wasn’t pretty,” said Cape Coach Jim Ray. “The most frustrating thing as a coach is we work so hard all season long and man, the nerves are overwhelming.”

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.