BANGOR — A man who killed two people and injured four others was sentenced to life in prison Monday for a rampage that left a trail of death and destruction across northern Maine.

Explaining his actions for the first time, Anthony Lord told the judge that he’d sought counseling to no avail after his baby son’s death left him overcome with grief before the shootings.

Lord, 37, said of the families: “They can’t be given back what they lost.”

The judge imposed two life sentences, the maximum sentences for the two counts of murder, during the hearing at the Penobscot Judicial Center. In Maine, there’s no possibility of parole.

The rampage began in July 2015 when Lord, of Crystal in Aroostook County, set fire to a barn, stole firearms from a Silver Ridge Township home and beat a man after tying him to a chair.

After the barn fire, Lord went to Benedicta, where his ex-girlfriend was staying, and fatally shot her boyfriend, 22-year-old Kyle Hewitt. He also kidnapped the former girlfriend, 22-year-old Brittany Irish, and shot and wounded her 55-year-old mother, Kim Irish.


Later, he killed 58-year-old Kevin Tozier at a woodlot where he stole a truck. Two others were also injured during the two-county rampage.

Lord was arrested at his uncle’s home in Houlton.

Lord didn’t offer a clue about what prompted the violence until Monday, when he said none of the events would have happened if his son hadn’t died in May 2015. A Millinocket man is awaiting trial for his son’s death.

“I do know how it feels to have a son murdered,” Lord said in a statement that was read aloud by one of his defense attorneys, David Bate. “I do hope you all will find peace. I know there is nothing I can do or say that will bring Kyle and Kevin back.”

“I’m sorry I took your daddy away,” the attorney read.

Lord said he pleaded guilty last month to spare the victims’ families the ordeal of a trial.

The parents of Brittany Irish said previously that Lord was furious at their daughter when she went to police about him abducting her and attacking her two days before the rampage. Because of his lengthy criminal record, he didn’t care about the consequences, they said.

Comments are no longer available on this story