The Portland Fire Department has ruled that the cause of a house fire Saturday at 79 Lincoln St. in the city’s Woodfords neighborhood was the improper disposal of smoking materials.

The two-family, two-story home sustained heavy fire damage to the second floor and heavy water damage to the first floor, city spokeswoman Jessica Grondin said in a statement Monday. The house has been posted as being unsafe for occupancy.

Improper disposal of smoking materials is a leading cause of fires, Grondin said. People should not dispose of cigarettes in vegetation such as mulch, potted plants, peat moss, dried grasses or leaves.

One Portland firefighter suffered a minor injury and was treated at a local hospital before being released, Grondin said.

No other injuries were reported as a result of the fire, which broke out around 9:30 a.m. Saturday.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: