YARMOUTH — The Class B South girls’ soccer championship game Thursday came down to being in the right place at the right time.

After about 62 scoreless minutes, top-seeded Yarmouth benefited from a lucky bounce that resulted in the game’s only goal for a 1-0 victory over No. 7 Cape Elizabeth.

Ehryn Groothoff, a sophomore, scored on a rebound with 18:21 left. After Groothoff’s initial shot bounced off a defender, the ball landed right back at her feet in the box, and she was able to put it away.

“I don’t really know of any pretty goals in the playoffs – I know we certainly haven’t scored any,” Yarmouth Coach Chris Coleman said. “We always talk about (Groothoff) shooting from distance – she’s got a great strike. That was what we needed.”

Yarmouth (17-0), the defending state champion, will play Presque Isle (13-4) in the state final at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday at Deering High.

After knocking off No. 2 Oak Hill and No. 3 Greely in the previous two rounds, Cape Elizabeth ended its season 11-7. The Capers have come a long way since Sept. 22, when they lost 7-0 to Yarmouth. The Clippers also beat the Capers 1-0 on Oct. 14.

“That 7-0 game was a real eye opener,” Cape Elizabeth Coach Craig Fannon said. “A lot of the girls had to reevaluate how much they wanted it. I think they’ve certainly answered that question and proved themselves.”

Yarmouth keeper Meredith Lane made five saves, while Cape Elizabeth’s Lilia Membrino finished with eight saves.

The teams appeared evenly matched in the first half, as each had five shots, including three on goal.

Yarmouth’s top scorer, Sara D’Appolonia, credited Cape Elizabeth’s defense with keeping the Clippers from getting many good looks.

“Cape has an awesome back line – Grace Gillian specifically,” D’Appolonia said. “She’s a force back there. But they have really jelled over the course of the season and they stuck it to us.”

Prezli Piscopo created most of Cape Elizabeth’s dangerous opportunities. With 23 minutes left in the first half, her corner kick sailed in front of Yarmouth’s goal before curving out of bounds. Minutes later, Piscopo fired a free kick from about 40 yards that flew inches over the crossbar.

Fifteen minutes before halftime, Karli Chapin fed a through ball to Piscopo on the right wing, resulting in a hard shot into the arms of Lane. Piscopo broke loose again minutes later, forcing Lane to make another save.

“At halftime, we got a little bit frustrated with ourselves because we weren’t scoring, we weren’t playing our best,” Groothoff said. “I think sometimes, as a team, we get into our own heads and worry too much. But overall, we know that we’re good enough, and we showed that today.”

The Clippers came out stronger in the second half and produced six shots on goal. Yarmouth had three corner kicks and free kicks in just the first five minutes.

Cape Elizabeth, meanwhile, came close to capitalizing on some of its own set plays. With 30 minutes left, Gillian nearly broke the tie, but she headed the ball just over Yarmouth’s crossbar off a corner kick by Piscopo.

“I think we defended extremely well,” Coleman said. “But we were clumsy in tackles, giving them way too many set pieces.”

With 27 minutes left, D’Appolonia fed the ball to Parker Harnett, whose close-range shot hit the crossbar. About eight minutes later, Membrino made a diving block on a D’Appolonia shot, and Ellie Purgavie’s shot on the rebound was just wide.

Twenty seconds after Groothoff’s goal, Piscopo nearly answered on a breakaway with a shot from the right side that grazed the top left post.

“We went out on a high – everybody came off and thought we played a good game,” Fannon said. “Unfortunately, the bounce just wasn’t with us today.”

Taylor Vortherms can be contacted at 791-6417 or

[email protected]

Twitter: TaylorVortherms

filed under: