LEWISTON — When Scarborough scored late in the third period Friday night, the Red Storm sent their girls’ hockey game against Falmouth into overtime.

Just another entertaining game between the two traditional powers of the South.

But times have changed.

Falmouth and Scarborough ended in a 3-3 tie at the Colisee. This was battle between two teams trying to get their fourth win of the season, rather than battling for a high playoff seed like they usually do.

The Yachtsmen are 3-6-1, while Scarborough moved to 3-7-1.

Reade Carmichael scored a hat trick for Falmouth, and Julia Bonnvie made 32 saves.

Elli Smith scored twice for the Red Storm and Courtney Brochu had two assists. Katie Loisel also scored and Ivy DiBiase made 14 saves.

The teams entered the game tied for fifth in the South standings, just ahead of seventh-place York/Traip/Marshwood. Six teams make the playoffs.

“I kind of figured this was going to be the season we were going to have,” Falmouth Coach Rob Carrier said.

Who figured, after Falmouth and Scarborough have dominated for so long? The past six regional championships have gone to either the Yachtsmen or the Red Storm, and they battled against each other for the title the past four seasons.

In the nine seasons that girls’ hockey has been a sanctioned sport, either Scarborough or Falmouth has been in the regional final seven times.

But Falmouth needs to replenish its roster, while the Red Storm are working on their defense.

“That’s our biggest hurdle,” said Scarborough Coach Caitlin Jordan said.

Jordan is in her first year as head coach after serving as an assistant at North Yarmouth Academy, the University of New England and Portland/Deering.

Scarborough has eight seniors, and the Red Storm skate well.

“We dominate games in the offensive zone,” Jordan said. “But we can’t put in as many goals as we’re letting in, at the moment.”

To prove Jordan’s point, the Red Storm outshot Falmouth 14-1 in the first period, but the Yachtsmen led 1-0. Bonnvie positioned herself well for the onslaught, and Carmichael sniped a shot under the crossbar.

Falmouth carried a 3-1 lead into the third period, but Scarborough rallied, with Smith tied it at 12:19.

“Scarborough’s pressure early in the game wore us down,” Carrier said.

Falmouth had chances, but DiBiase, who switched to goalie from forward only two weeks ago, stood tall.

“For being a two-week-old goalie, she’s doing pretty well,” Jordan said. “We couldn’t ask for anything more. For her to give up the rest of her senior year playing forward – which she loves – to be goalie for the team, is a good testament of her character.”

Jordan called her team’s performance “a positive,” while the Yachtsmen must regroup after letting a lead slip away.

“It’s definitely been difficult,” said Carmichael, a Junior. “It’s an entirely different season because (other) teams have gotten better. We’ve all had to set up. We’re trying our best.”

Falmouth was scheduled to play Edward Little/Leavitt/Poland on Saturday, but that game has been postponed to Thursday. Falmouth next plays Monday when it hosts Scarborough in a quick rematch.

Kevin Thomas can be reached at 791-6411 or:

[email protected]

Twitter: KevinThomasPPH