LEWISTON — Falmouth Coach Deron Barton did not want the Class A South boys’ hockey semifinal against Biddeford to go into overtime.

With 3:09 left in regulation at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee, momentum was on Falmouth’s side, as the second-seeded Yachtsmen had just scored two goals in less than three minutes to tie the score at 4-4.

“In overtime, in these scenarios, I’ve been around so long that I’ve seen how they end,” Barton said. “We had some opportunities to win the game with under a minute left.”

Instead, it was Biddeford freshman Trevor Ouellette who scored the winner 2:31 into overtime as third-seeded Biddeford defeated the Yachtsmen for the third time this season, 5-4.

Biddeford (14-6) will play No. 1 Cheverus (14-4-1) in the regional championship game Tuesday in Lewiston.

“The puck just got coughed up through the middle,” Trevor Ouellette said of the winner. “It was an easy pull to my backhand, the kid went right past me, and I shot backhanded. … As a freshman, I think it’s one of the best feelings in the world.”

Biddeford goalie Owen Sullivan finished with 25 saves, while Sam Kidder had 18 saves for Falmouth (12-6-1).

Biddeford Coach Jason Tremblay said Falmouth’s comeback was no surprise to his team.

“They knew (it would be hard to protect the lead), it wasn’t like we were sitting back,” Tremblay said. “Falmouth earned those goals and earned the overtime.”

With Falmouth trailing 3-1, Brendan Hickey scored the first of his two goals at 2:33 of the third period with a slap shot from just inside the red line that was too hard for Sullivan to handle.

Logan Magnant cushioned Biddeford’s lead, assisted by freshman Nick McSorley, off a faceoff with 10:23 left.

Falmouth kept the pressure on, though, outshooting the Tigers 14-6 in the third period.

“It’s a resilient group,” Barton said of his team. “In the beginning of the third period, I think the kids made up their minds that they were going to go out there and get it done.”

Penalties hurt Biddeford in the third period, giving Falmouth a brief 5-on-3 advantage with less than seven minutes left. The Yachtsmen didn’t convert with the two-man advantage, but Hickey scored at 9:09 just after the first penalty expired, putting away a Theo Hembre rebound.

Louis Mainella tied the score at 11:51 with an unassisted goal.

“We got those two penalties and you could just feel it, that they’re going to get one, and they did,” Tremblay said. “We worked really hard on special teams, and I think that was the difference in the end.”

In the second period, Biddeford capitalized on penalties for two power-play goals. McSorley gave the Tigers a 2-1 lead with an assist from Magnant at 2:21, and Trenton Ouellette, Trevor’s brother, scored the at 5:07.

“To watch my brother score the game-winner means a lot to me,” said Trenton Ouellette, a junior defenseman. “We gave it our best, and I’m just glad my brother put it in.”

Biddeford got on the board first when Curtis Petit scored from Colin Petit and Trenton Ouellette, putting away a rebound 3:44 into the game. Jacob Skillin-Lanou answered for Falmouth three minutes later, off the rebound of an Owen Drummey shot.

“They played well enough to win the game,” Barton said of his team. “But I’ve got to give credit to Biddeford. They beat us three times, fair and square.”

Taylor Vortherms can be contacted at 791-6417 or:

[email protected]

Twitter: TaylorVortherms

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.