CUMBERLAND — The regular-season boys’ lacrosse finale between Cape Elizabeth and Greely meant nothing in terms of playoff implications.

The Capers had locked up the second seed in Class A South and Greely top billing in Class B. Apparently, though, the game meant something to Cape senior midfielder David Hare, who launched himself like a football wide receiver to intercept a long breakout pass near the sideline between both benches.

“That hurt a lot,” said Hare, who landed hard and horizontal. “But you’ve gotta do what you’ve gotta do.”

Plays like Hare’s helped the visiting Capers hold off a spirited fourth-quarter comeback from Greely for an 11-9 victory Friday.

Both teams are 9-3. Cape Elizabeth extended its winning streak to seven after an uncharacteristic 2-3 start. Greely had also won six straight.

The Rangers trailed by five entering the fourth quarter but scored three times in three minutes to make it 10-8.

“They’re probably the hottest team in Class B,” Hare said. “They really pushed us to the end.”

Greely sophomore Schuyler Wetmore scored two of his game-high four goals in the final quarter, and set up classmate Andrew Lawrence near the left post with a little over a minute remaining, but the Rangers couldn’t convert from close range to make it a one-goal game and Cape Elizabeth was able to run out the clock.

“We have to learn to play with a lead, which we’re doing better at,” Hare said. “During the game it can be scary, but after the game you look back and it was a great way to tune up for a team like Thornton Academy or Falmouth.”

Cape Elizabeth junior Sam Dresser scored with five minutes remaining to give the Capers breathing room at 11-8. It was his second of the game, a total matched by sophomore Killian Lathrop and seniors Tate Perkins and Jacob Brydson.

“We just had to remain composed,” Brydson said. “Defense had to lock on to their guys, keep their cutters marked and on offense we were moving the ball and getting good looks.”

Archie McEvoy and Dresser gave Cape an early 2-0 lead but Wetmore and Lawrence responded to make it 2-2 after one quarter. A nifty inside cut by Phil Tarling in the opening minute of the second quarter led to a 3-2 advantage the Capers never relinquished. Brydson, Lathrop and Ben Carroll followed with goals to extend the margin to 6-2 before Wetmore scored in transition with 13 seconds remaining to make it 6-3 at halftime.

The Hare interception came early in the third quarter, after Greely junior William Schumacher scored to make it 6-4. The turnover led to a Brydson goal in transition and soon, it seemed, Cape was in control with a 10-5 lead entering the fourth.

Wetmore, Ethan Fraser and Lawrence scored within a span of 2:22 to make it a two-goal game and put the Capers on their heels.

“We were switching in and out of defenses,” Cape Elizabeth Coach Ben Raymond said. “(Goalie Jack Dresser) is trying to help our defense get better and work on things that we want to be able to do going into the playoffs. We want to be able to play multiple defenses every time down. Practicing that in a game that matters is much better than doing it in practice. Here, they have to adjust on the fly.”

Dresser finished with six saves and Greely keeper Sawyer Gagnon with eight.

“Part of coaching is you want to put them in all scenarios that they’re going to see,” said Greely Coach Mike Storey. “Being down to a high-quality team is a good experience. It shows guys that they can’t take quarters off.”

Glenn Jordan can be contacted at 791-6425 or

[email protected]

Twitter: GlennJordanPPH