BATH — Gardiner goalie Noah Keene stopped a shot as time expired to preserve a 7-6 win over Morse in a Class B boys’ lacrosse preliminary-round game Wednesday at McMann Field.

“That was right down to the end. We knew they were resilient, but it’s nice to come out of here with a win,” Gardiner Coach KC Johnson said.

The game’s final play began with 13 seconds left. Coming out of a timeout, Morse needed to move the ball the length of the field to attempt a shot.

“We drew up the play, knowing how they would defend it,” Morse Coach Jay Paulus said. “I had (Kehl) Chadwick as my best long-stick that could throw. I had him throwing to Sheamus (Mann), knowing they would lock up on him.

“This left (Mason) Savory open to get the pass and take a shot, which he did. What a great save by their goalie.”

Keene made six saves in the fourth quarter for the No. 9 Tigers.

“During the timeout leading up to that play, I was just hoping they wouldn’t get the ball up the field so quickly, but they did,” said Keene, a senior. “I saw them get the ball and stepped out hard to try to save it.”

The win advances the Tigers (6-7) to a quarterfinal match Saturday against No. 1 Greely. Morse ends its season at 7-6.

“This was a classic game between Morse and Gardiner,” Paulus said. “KC always has his team prepared and they always play us well.”

Mann scored the only goal of the first quarter. Gardiner’s Connor Manter tied the game four minutes into the second quarter, off a pass from Jake Weston, and the Tigers quickly added three more goals for a 4-1 halftime lead.

Gardiner put 10 shots on goal in the second quarter. While Morse goalie Dylan Maybee was spectacular, making six saves, the Tigers got goals from Tanner Hebert, Parker Hinkley and Kyle Johnson.

“Dylan was fantastic in net today,” Paulus said. “He wasn’t just making your regular saves, he was using his arms and legs and kicking shots away. What a great goalie he has become this year.”

Following a goal by Hebert to open the second half, Morse recorded the next three goals in less than four minutes to cut the lead to 5-4. Wyatt Hudson scored a pair, sandwiched around a Dom Green goal.

Gardiner got a key goal from Boynton with two seconds remaining in the quarter to make it 6-4.

Bradley Phills pushed the lead to 7-4 in the fourth, but the Shipbuilders responded with a pair of goals from Spencer Knowles.

Gardiner’s defense limited Morse’s chances in the final minutes.

“The ‘D’ stepped up today,” Johnson said. “We have a brand new set of … players and they are all young, so it was nice to see them rise to the occasion. Both goalies kept this game from being a different story.”

Keene felt the same about his defensive teammates.

“They worked hard on their offensive players, not allowing them to come at me,” said Keene.