Do tell
The founders of the (1866) Saco Museum, Maine’s third-oldest museum, pledged that none of them should die in possession of an uncommunicated historical fact. (sacomuseum.org)
$260,000 plus
Amount the downtown Mary’s Walk/Kerrymen 5K, in honor of Mary Kerry Libby and benefiting the Maine Cancer Foundation, raised on its 20th anniversary, March 13.
Born in the ‘60s
Today’s Funtown Splashtown USA marked its first season in 1967. It grew on the site of the Marvel Drive In restaurant, which opened in 1960.
‘…e-p-p-e-r-r-e-l-l…’
In 1805 the town dropped the cumbersome “Pepperrellborough,” after Sir William Pepperrell, in favor of the ancient “Saco.” (sacomaine.org)
S-a-c-o
The name goes back to Portuguese explorer Estêvão Gomes’ map designating Bahio de Saco, which means “Bay of the Sack.” (wikipedia)
‘Ha-cha-cha-cha’
“Forbidden Music,” starring Jimmy Durante, was on screen when the Saco Drive-In (now the nation’s second-oldest) opened on July 15, 1939.
Tupelo, honey
Ferry Beach State Park measures 117 acres, with a splendid beach, trails, and tupelo trees.
Est. 1844
Laurel Hill Cemetery on Beach Street was one of the nation’s first to follow the rural cemetery movement, which began with Mount Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge, Mass. (sacomuseum.org)
The ‘Dummy Railroad’
The 3.24-mile line, whose nickname’s origin is uncertain, operated between Saco’s Camp Ellis and Old Orchard Beach from 1880 to 1923. (Stan Quinlan, harmonmuseum.org)
Distinguished links
Biddeford-Saco Country Club, which has an 18-hole, Donald Ross-designed golf course, was founded in the early 1920s.

On the Market in and around Saco