A three-story flat-top apartment at 36 Shawmut St. in Lewiston shows no sign outside but a fire early Sunday that started in the hallway of the second floor damaged the interior. Russ Dillingham/Sun Journal

LEWISTON — A fire at a multifamily home on Shawmut Street that displaced 12 people Sunday morning may have been caused by an electrical problem, according to the Lewiston Fire Department.

Lewiston Fire Capt. Rick Cailler said the fire department received a call at 6:03 a.m. that a fire had started inside the second-floor hallway of a four-unit apartment building at 36 Shawmut St.

The fire was knocked down an hour later, Cailler said, though the damage to the interior of the building was enough to force two families – 12 people total – out of their apartments.

“Right now, it looks like there was about $10,000 worth of damage to the building,” Cailler said, adding that once repairs are done, the families will be able to move back into their apartments.

The American Red Cross reported that it is helping the two families who lived in the building with food, shelter and other essentials.

While the fire will remain under investigation through Monday, Cailler said that it is likely the blaze was caused by an “electrical problem” within the apartment.

According to Cailler, the building is owned by Joe Dunne of Lewiston.

Nobody was injured in the fire, Cailler said.


Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: