Sam Rumelhart is ready to finish the job.

Two years after having a potential state championship winning goal disallowed by a video review in double overtime of an eventual loss to Lewiston, Rumelhart and his Scarborough boys’ hockey teammates are gearing up for a title run.

Monday afternoon at Troubh Ice Arena, Rumelhart scored two goals in the first period and two more in the second to lift the Red Storm to a 7-1 win over Portland/Deering.

Scarborough (6-4) bounced back from a loss at Greely on Saturday.

“I want to get back (to states),” said Rumelhart, who spent last year’s COVID-shortened season playing junior hockey in Vermont. “That game two years ago was unbelievable. I still think about that. If we get everyone moving well, we’ll be tough to beat.”

Scarborough peppered Portland/Deering goalie Ryan Becker from the opening faceoff and took the lead at 1:35 of the first period. Rumelhart skated around the goal, then flicked a shot past Becker. Thomas Hassett was credited with an assist.


“Sam’s a great all-around player,” said Scarborough first-year coach Eric Wirsing. “He works hard and has a lot of speed and puts teams on their heels and allows us to open things up offensively. He’s a great kid to coach.”

Becker then held the Red Storm at bay until the 9:28 mark, when Olin Pedersen got the puck from Ryan Ravis and roofed a shot over Becker.

Scarborough then needed just 30 seconds to strike again as Rumelhart scored for the second time, from Jack Carlista.

The Red Storm could have led by more, but Becker made 15 saves in the first period and Jordan Sheppard rang a shot off the crossbar.

Scarborough’s special teams got into the act in the second period.

Rumelhart completed his hat track 59 seconds in, scoring on a rebound with Wyatt Grondin and Will Fallona receiving assists.


“I wanted a hat trick bad,” Rumelhart said. “If you have two goals, you might as well get three.”

Billy Mahoney then scored on the power play at 7:28, with Carlista and Daemon Bobbin getting assists.

Rumelhart scored his fourth goal at 9:58, unassisted. Scarborough struck on the power play again at 11:57 when Grondin rebounded home a shot by Jack Matthews. Griffin Denbow was credited with the other assist.

The third period was played with a mercy-rule running clock. Portland/Deering finally broke through at 9:47 as junior Nick Walsh sent the puck into the net for his first varsity goal.

“I’m happy with how we responded after a tough game,” Wirsing said. “I’m really proud of the boys for coming back together and putting in a solid effort.”

Becker made 38 saves for Portland/Deering (0-7).

“We told the guys not to worry about the score but to play hard and we won the third period,” said Portland/Deering Coach Jeff Beaney. “I’m happy how we finished.”

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.