Scarborough Community Services has long offered passport application and renewal services to our community. For the tenth year in a row, they will be hosting Annual Passport Day on Saturday, Nov. 5 at the Community Services Hub (418 Payne Road). Unfortunately, an indicator of the great demand, this appointment-only event filled up quickly and staff is not accepting any new appointments. We are instead looking at the possibility of offering even more of these events in the future. (We also regularly offer weekday appointments).

For those who plan to use our passport services in the near future, take this opportunity to organize and prepare for the process. Here are some frequently asked questions and misconceptions about passports and Maine Real IDs:

• I don’t live in Scarborough. Can I apply for my passport in Scarborough?

Yes! You do not need to be a resident of Scarborough to apply in Scarborough. In fact, you may apply at ANY passport acceptance facility of your choice, however, it is highly recommended that you go to a facility within your own state. For more information on other nearby acceptance facilities, please visit

• Do I need an appointment to get my passport application processed?

We accept passports by appointment only at our facility. Our passport acceptance days are Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays between 9:00am and 1:00pm. Our acceptance facility is located at 418 Payne Road in Scarborough in the Community Services Hub. Appointments may be made over the phone by calling 207-730-4150. Though we have typically booked out a week in advance, a sharp increase in demand has us booking about a month in advance at this time. When you call to make the appointment, one of our agents will go over everything you need to bring with you on the day of your appointment. This ensures that the appointment goes smoothly. If everything is in order, a typical appointment takes no longer than 10-15 minutes.


• My passport is about to expire. Do I need to set up an appointment to renew my passport?

If your previous passport was valid for 10 years, is not damaged, and is still in your possession, you do not need an appointment to renew it. Renewals are handled on your own. You simply complete the Passport Renewal Form (DS-82), attach a new passport photo, and submit the form, a check made to the U.S. Department of State, and the expired or expiring passport to the address indicated on the form. The U.S. Department of state gives applicants up to five years after expiration to renew their 10-year passports using the DS-82 form. For the DS-82 form and related fees, please visit

• I just heard that it is taking LONGER to get a passport back? How can I get it back quicker?

It is true that due to COVID, passport processing times have increased since last year. What used to take 4-6 weeks is now taking 8-11 weeks, so we are urging folks to apply early, if possible. For those that need a passport quicker, you do have the option to expedite your application for an additional $60 fee. This will get the passport back to you within 5-7 weeks. When expediting an application, it is also recommended that applicants also add the overnight delivery service (to and from) to ensure that 5-7 week timeframe. If you need a passport even sooner than 5-7 weeks and it is for urgent international travel or a life-or-death emergency, some passport acceptance agencies and centers are accepting very limited appointments in person. For more information on getting a passport fast, please visit

• My child has had a passport before. Can we renew that on our own?

Anyone whose previous passport was valid for 5 years or less must reapply for a passport at a passport acceptance facility, like the Scarborough Community Services Office, or a passport agency or center, like the National Passport Center in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Children age 15 and under must bring their previous passport PLUS their certified birth certificate to accompany the application. All documents that accompany a passport application are mailed back to applicants under separate cover. For more information on applying for a minor’s passport, please visit


• I heard that I need a passport to fly from Maine to another U.S. destination. Is that true?

The Department of Homeland Security extended the Real ID enforcement deadline again. Enforcement will now begin on May 3, 2023. During this period, Maine driver’s licenses and IDs will be accepted as valid identification for federal purposes, such as entrance to federal facilities and boarding commercial aircraft. Beginning May 3, 2023, you will need a valid passport book, a valid passport card, or a Real-ID compliant driver’s license or State ID in order to fly domestically.

• I’m not going to be traveling for awhile but my passport is set to expire in 8 months. Can I renew it now?

Yes! Your passport does not need to be expired in order to renew it. In fact, now would be a great time to renew it knowing that you are not travelling and the processing time are a bit longer than they used to be. Some countries even require that your passport be valid at least 6 months beyond your dates of travel so now is a great time to look at your passport and check those dates. For more info on your destination’s entry requirements, please visit

• I heard that I can renew my passport online. Is that true?

The U.S. Department of State very recently announced that they are piloting a program that allows people to renew their passport online. Not everyone will qualify, and it will only be available for a limited time. This is very convenient and exciting! Unfortunately, we don’t have a lot of information about this yet as it is not a part of the process that we participate in. You can keep up to date on this potential opportunity by visiting


• My children are also travelling with me domestically. Do they need a passport card or book?

When flying domestically, the Transportation Security Administration requires all adults age 18 and over to carry a valid federal or state-issued identification card such as a passport or Real ID driver’s license, but children and babies do not need ID. Note that your airline may require proof of an infant’s age, such as a passport or birth certificate. Check with your airline for specific policies.

• I have a passport but I changed addresses. Do I need to update my passport?

No, there is no need to update your current passport. However, if you have a passport application that is currently in process and you need to change your mailing address, please call 1-877-487-2778.

If you have any other questions regarding passports, please feel free to call Scarborough Community Services at 207-730-4150. Visit our department information at to learn more about our passport services.

Comments are not available on this story.