SANFORD — Elation and heartbreak. That’s what an overtime goal in a regional championship game produces.

No. 1 Scarborough High raced on the field to celebrate when Kilson Joao chipped in the winner with 2:21 left in the first overtime of the Red Storm’s 2-1 boys’ soccer Class A South victory against No. 6 Windham on Tuesday at Sanford High.

The Eagles fell to the turf, left to console each other, shocked by how their season ended. Joao’s goal came moments after Windham keeper Lukas Hammond made his 10th save since halftime (13th overall). Attempting a clearing throw, Hammond’s pass deflected off the back of teammate Connor Gallant.

“The goalkeeper tried to clear the ball and it bounced off his (center back) and I was there and just finished it,” Joao said. “My job is to just hang out there and when the ball comes to me, just finish. Shoot the ball.”

Scarborough (16-1) advances to its first state championship since 2015, looking for its first title since back-to-back crowns in 2012 and 2013. Scarborough, which held a 15-7 shot advantage, will play two-time North champion Brunswick, at 3 p.m. Saturday at Deering’s Memorial Field. Brunswick blitzed Lewiston  6-0 in the North final.

“I think they played hard enough to deserve the victory. I was really proud of their effort. Just a real team effort,” said Scarborough Coach Mark Diaz. “We were moving the ball really well in the second half.”


Windham (13-5) had won 11 straight, including two overtime playoff wins, since a 2-4 start. Hammond broke his arm in the third game against Scarborough and didn’t return until the playoffs.

“I don’t want to focus on one particular moment. You win as a team. You lose as a team. I want to focus on the fact that the kids battled all year long and Lukas made some ridiculous saves,” said Windham Coach Jeff Neal. “We wouldn’t have even been at that point in the game.”

In the overtime, Hammond stopped a hard shot and subsequent rebound bid from Jack Moreau, who excelled in his hard-working role on the left wing. Four minutes later, Hammond leaped to his right and knocked away a shot by Dillon McLeod.

Scarborough goalie Nicholas Ouellette wasn’t as busy (3 saves) but got enough of a long-range bid to the top right corner from Tyler Johnsen with seven minutes left in overtime to knock it off the crossbar.

Windham started the game producing the better chances. With 14 minutes to go in the first half, Ouellette stopped a low shot by Johnsen and defender Noah Flagg knocked away two rebound attempts by Nick Marion.

Moreau broke the scoreless tie with 4:10 left in the first half, heading in a rebound of Will Fallona’s blast that caromed high off the arm of a diving Hammond.

Scarborough controlled play in the second half but Windham scored the only goal. The Eagles took advantage of a rare few seconds of confusion among the Red Storm defense to earn a corner kick. Windham quickly inserted a short ball and Sam Rogers drilled a low shot on a tight angle that whistled between the near post and Ouellette with 2:57 left in regulation.

The Eagles – who had already bounced No. 3 Marshwood and No. 2 Deering – were ready to pull another upset.

“It hurts bad but I’m very proud of the team, what we accomplished this year,” said senior captain Ben LaWind. “We made it so far. Went through a lot of adversity and people getting a lot of injuries. We did the best we could.”

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.