Firefighters wore breathing apparatus to avoid possibly getting high while fighting a fire Saturday at a medical marijuana growing facility in Gorham.

Some of the damage after a fire at a marijuana medical growing facility in Gorham Saturday night. Photo contributed by Gorham Fire Chief Kenny Fickett.

The fire severely damaged one of the grow rooms and a foyer, but didn’t spread to the other grow rooms, Gorham Fire Chief Kenneth Fickett said Sunday. “It’s a huge facility. There are 10 grow rooms,” he added.

No one was injured in the fire, he said.

The call came in around 7:30 p.m. after temperature monitors alerted a facility worker, Fickett said. The worker investigated and found the grow room was filled with smoke. He slammed the door and called for help.

When firefighters arrived, the grow room, which is about 20 by 40 feet, was filled with black smoke and a foul smell of plastic burning. The fire was caused by older grow lights that had malfunctioned, the fire chief said.

Firefighters wore a breathing apparatus to protect them from getting high in the smoky room, Fickett said.

“Luckily these weren’t full-fledged plants. We didn’t have that issue,” he said. “But that’s why we would never enter that building without a breathing apparatus.”

Gorham received mutual aid on the scene from Westbrook, Windham and Standish.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: