YORK – These Wildcats made some history. Emphatically.

York High qualified for its first boys’ lacrosse state championship game by beating perennial power Yarmouth, 9-3, in Tuesday’s Class B semifinal on the top-seeded Wildcats’ damp and somewhat slippery natural grass field.

“It’s special and it’s really an honor,” said Chris Connors, a York junior and defensive leader.

York, which started its varsity program in 2001, is just the fourth school from York County to qualify for a boys’ championship game since the lacrosse was sanctioned by the Maine Principals’ Association in 1998. Kennebunk (2006, 2007) and Marshwood (2021) have lost in Class B finals. Thornton Academy of Saco won the Class A title in 2018 and 2019.

York (12-4) will face Messalonskee in the state championship game on Friday at Fitzpatrick Stadium, time to be determined. Messalonskee advanced with an 18-8 win over Brunswick.

No. 4 Yarmouth (11-5) is part of Maine’s royal court of lacrosse. The Clippers had been in the past three Class B title games, beating York to get there in 2022, and in a state final 15 of the past 19 seasons, winning six championships. Earlier this season Yarmouth beat York, 20-12.


“Last year we lost to that team in the semifinal, so I think all year this was something we had in our sights was to beat Yarmouth,” said second-year coach Billy McNamara.

Leading 3-2 at the half on two goals from Nick Hoy and one from Hayden Forbes, York was able to start the third quarter with possession because of a delayed penalty. As the penalty wound down, Evan Anastos rifled in a shot for a 4-2 lead.

On its next possession, York began working a mistake-free offense, firing shot after shot.

Nine straight shots skipped, sailed or slid wide. But, with its offense properly positioned to have a player closest to the ball when it went out of bounds, York kept possession.

On the 10th shot, after over four minutes of elapsed time, Luke Douris popped free to the right of Yarmouth’s superb freshman goalie Will Redfield (19 saves) and buried the close shot for a 5-2 lead.

“We wanted to keep control of the ball because every time we have it, they’re not scoring,” Douris said. “That was our game plan, to control the ball, control the game, and then capitalize on our opportunities.”


York, which had a 51-24 advantage in shot attempts, scored on its next four shots.

Quinn Walenta (1 goal, 2 assists) scored in transition after a rush by defender Chris Connors. Hoy potted his third goal of the game on a hard charge from the perimeter. Kevin Burke, one of York’s three seniors, sent an outside laser over Redfield’s shoulder. Douris, again finding space near the goal, scored from Walenta to make it 9-2.

All Yarmouth could answer with was Killian Marsh’s second goal of the game with four minutes left in the fourth quarter. Colter Olson had Yarmouth’s other goal.

York’s defense led by Connors, Laird Masterson and defensive midfielder Wyatt Horning repeatedly forced turnovers, both in Yarmouth’s offensive zone and while the Clippers were trying to clear and get the ball through the midfield.

“The difference between the Yorks we would see in the past and until now is their depth,” said Yarmouth Coach Jon Miller. “They had six or seven guys who could score. I don’t think they’ve had that. Ever.”

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.