Ethan Fisher’s emotions were on a teeter-totter in a Class A South boys’ soccer quarterfinal Wednesday.

“I was so nervous all the time,” said Fisher, a junior captain and midfielder for third-seeded Deering. “It scared me whenever we almost got scored on, and then I was exhilarated every time we almost scored. It was a great match.”

In the second overtime, Deering produced the decisive goal for an intense 2-1 victory over sixth-seeded Kennebunk.

Chandrel Mangele-Laza’s goal with 7:06 left in the second overtime was the difference. A wizard at creating chances for teammates with the ball at his feet, Mangele-Laza had been stymied on his individual runs by a determined Kennebunk defense led by Gavin MacDonald and goalie Dylan Jones.

At the end, he was the late target, completing a tic-tac-toe sequence that started with a run through the center of the field by Nick Simon Mboumba, who directed a pass to his left to Nathan Dimandaya, who sent a touch pass onto Mangele-Laza.

“I wasn’t expecting it. I saw Nathan, my teammate, and I should make a run, and I made a run and he passed it to me and I shoot it. Oh, I scored,” said Mangele-Laza, who drilled a shot into the far side. “We worked so hard and I’m proud of my teammates. And (Kennebunk) played really good. I’m impressed, because (in the) regular season, we beat them 4-2.”


Deering received four yellow cards. Kennebunk (9-5-2), which drew one yellow card, had an apparent winning goal waved off late in regulation. At one stoppage in the second overtime, five players, three from Kennebunk and two from Deering, were on the turf suffering from leg cramps.

“We came up here to play the best game that we could and we did. We were just a little bit short today but I’m super proud of my boys,” said Kennebunk Coach Nate Bean. “We’ll just keep battling and we’ll be in the conversation again next year.”

Deering (10-3-2) will host No. 7 Falmouth (10-4-2) in a regional semifinal Friday. Falmouth upset No. 2 Gorham, 3-2. Deering and Falmouth played to a 1-1 tie way back on Aug. 31.

Joel Costigan, Deering’s coach since 2011, said if Deering can beat Falmouth, it will earn its first trip to a regional final under his tutelage, and its first win against the Navigators since Falmouth moved up to Class A in 2014.

“It’s time to make some history,” Costigan said.

When Kennebunk’s Theo Pow chested in a loose ball just outside the Deering goal line, after a deflected shot by Ashton Trondle had skidded off the crossbar, it appeared Kennebunk would be the team moving on. But the linesman and referee said Trondle’s shot hit the football goalpost positioned just beyond the soccer net after it had hit the soccer goal, meaning it had gone out of play.

Kennebunk scored first in the second half when Cooper Thompson knocked in a corner kick from Drew Sliwkowski. Deering’s starting keeper, Adao Lufumbo-Mbenza, was on the bench because he’d been given a yellow card for not wearing his mouthpiece while Kennebunk was setting up the corner.

Deering sophomore Abrahim Abdullahi converted a pass from freshman Dan Dimandya to tie the game with 13 minutes to play.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.