1. Thornton Academy: The reigning Class A state champions are young, but they may have enough talent to contend for a three-peat.
2. Greely: The Rangers’ lineup includes most of the key players from last season’s Class B state championship. team.
3. Scarborough: With 14 players back, the speedy Red Storm should be in thick of the Western Class A race.
4. Falmouth: With only four players missing from last season’s team that reached the Western Class A final, the Yachtsmen appear poised to make a title run.
5. Gorham: The Rams have a weaker schedule than other expected contenders, but they have enough talent to challenge for a high seed in the Western Class A tournament.
– Paul Betit, Staff Writer